Did you grow up eating lucky charms cereal? Well then this Leprechaun Bait Recipe is for YOU! I absolutely love Muddy Buddies for a fun snack, but sometimes you just have to shake it up a bit, like with this Leprechaun Bait, a deliciously easy M&M Saint Patrick's Day Snack Mix!
Let's make a Leprechaun Bait Recipe for Saint Patrick's Day!
It is almost Saint Patrick's Day, and it is finally time to break out all of the fun green colored, Irish themed treats! Green treats for kids are absolutely perfect for those that really like a combination of sweet and salty when it comes to their snacking.
Sweet and salty go together in a tasty St Patricks day mix just like peanut butter and chocolate, am I right? You know that I am! Well, unless you are allergic to peanuts, in which case, I am sincerely sorry...but you can easily omit the peanuts from this leprechaun mix.
Why You Will Love this Leprechaun Bait Recipe
This Saint Patrick's Day Snack Mix Recipe just looks SO pretty served up in little pails or packaged in cellophane bags! I think it is perfect for bagging up and giving out as little Saint Patrick's Day gifts to friends and family, as well as serving up in a bowl on your desk at work for your coworkers to grab for a quick, fun and festive snack!
Don't forget those classroom holiday parties for the kiddos! Your children will be the belle of the ball with these fun St Patrick's day snacks for school!
While I may not be able to return back to Ireland this year to celebrate Saint Patrick's Day in style, I sure can make this tasty Leprechaun food to enjoy at home and look over my photos from the trip!
What You Need to Make Leprechaun Bait for Saint Patrick's Day this year!
Everyone loves snacking, and what better way to get the kid involved in celebrating a fun holiday than by making easy snacks?
If you are not sure where to get the candies and sprinkles for this recipe for Leprechaun Bait, check out Amazon! They have a huge assortment of all kinds of cake decorating supplies! You can even find popcorn and candy too!
- Popped popcorn - You can use regular stovetop popcorn or use premade packaged popcorn, just make sure it isn't flavored or coated
- Pretzels - You are going to use either mini pretzels or pretzel sticks for this snack mix, just make sure to break them up a bit
- Salted peanuts - You can substitute rice Chex, or lucky charms to make this more of a Leprechaun Chex mix
- White chocolate chips - you want to use a quality chocolate in this recipe leprechaun bait, like Ghirardelli white chocolate chips
- Green Chocolate Coated Candies - I used Sixlets in green!
- Green and White Sprinkles - I used the Wilton Brand, but you can use any Saint Patrick's Day themed sprinkles!
Of course, you can also find all kinds of really cute Saint Patrick's day holiday decor, little goodie bags, you name it! Amazon seems to have just about everything these days, don't they? Click here for cute Saint Patrick's Day cellophane treat bags!
Directions for How to our Make Leprechaun Bait Snack Mix
You are going to begin by lining a baking sheet with parchment paper and then setting it aside. In a large mixing bowl, you are going to add your popcorn, the pretzels, and salted peanuts. Stir the mixture together thoroughly to ensure that all of these ingredients are evenly distributed!
In a small glass bowl, add the premium white chocolate chips morsels. Microwave the chocolate chips on high power for 60 seconds, then remove the bowl from the microwave and stir it well. Return the glass bowl to the microwave and microwave it on high power again for 20 seconds. Stir the chocolate until it is completely melted and smooth. There should not be ANY chunks in the chocolate. If additional heating of the white chocolate is necessary to completely melt it down, return the glass bowl to the microwave in 20 second increments, making sure to stir it after each increment.
HINT: If the chocolate scorches, it will be unusable, so pay close attention!
Pour the melted chocolate slowly over the Saint Patrick's day Snack mix into a large bowl and stir it really well to combine it all together. You want to make sure that it is all evenly coated with the chocolate so that every little bite is utterly delicious! Add in the chocolate candies and stir it gently, making sure not to break up the popcorn. No one ones a tiny piece of popcorn, we all want nice fat, fluffy popcorn pieces! YUM!
Pour mixture onto your prepared pan and spread it out evenly. Sprinkle with the Saint Patrick's Day green and white sprinkles. Let your Leprechaun Bait snack mix set for about 30 minutes until the chocolate is hard. Now break it apart and enjoy!
Substitutions and Variations for this Leprechaun Bait
There are plenty of ways to change up this Leprechaun Bait Snack Recipe! Get creative with making this bait recipe, because the entire point is that you are having a great time and making a delicious snack that you can enjoy!
- Lucky Charms Marshmallows - Instead of using the green candies that this recipe calls for, replace them with lucky charms marshmallows!
- Rice Chex - If you are allergic to peanuts - or just don't like them - replace them with rice Chex! Just replace the peanuts with equal cups rice Chex.
- Cup lucky charms - For extra fun, add a cup of lucky charms to this snack mix!
- Green Chocolate Melts - You can also use Wilton Green Chocolate melts to drizzle over the Leprechaun bait for an added pop of Saint Patrick's Day flair!
Check out this really fun Valentine's Day Snack Mix version on my website!
Top tip for the best Leprechaun Bait Recipe
The most important thing to keep in mind while making this Leprechaun Bait is to keep the mix ins (like the chocolate candies, Lucky Charms Marshmallows, Pretzels and salted peanuts) evenly distributed throughout the popcorn and that there is an equal amount of melted white chocolate throughout the snack mix.
Check out our other Saint Patrick's Day Recipes!
Did you enjoy this Saint Patrick’s Day Snack Mix Recipe? We have lots of Saint Patrick’s Day recipes on the blog, ranging from cookies, cupcakes, cocktails, soups and side dishes!
Share this Leprechaun Bait Recipe with your friends and family on social media!
If you love this Leprechaun Bait as much as we do, please leave me a 5-star review below and help me share this recipe on Facebook, Twitter and Pinterest!
If you do make these super fun St Patrick's Day snacks for school, I hope you’ll share that you tried it on Pinterest! I love it SO MUCH when readers share their feedback!
What to Serve for Dinner
These are my favorite dishes to serve with our Leprechaun Bait:
Click below for the Leprechaun Bait Printable Recipe Card!
I know that sometimes it is easier to go off a recipe when it is printed right in front of you. Who wants to swipe their screen on their phone or tablet when their hands are greasy? You might also want to print off a copy of this Leprechaun Bait recipe to attach to a bag of this snack mix when handing it out to friends, or to save in your physical recipe book at home. So I love offering this option as well!
Leprechaun Bait: Saint Patrick's Day Snack Mix
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, add popcorn, pretzels, and peanuts. Stir to mix well.
- In a small glass bowl, add white chocolate chips. Microwave on high power for 60 seconds. Remove from microwave and stir well. Return to microwave and microwave for 20 seconds. Stir until melted. If additional heating of white chocolate is necessary to completely melt, return to the microwave in 20 second increments stirring after each increment.
- Pour melted chocolate over snack mix in bowl and stir well to combine. Add candies and stir.
- Pour snack mix onto prepared pan and spread out. Sprinkle with green and white sprinkles. Let set for about 30 minutes until chocolate is hard. Break apart and enjoy!
Share this Leprechaun Bait recipe to your favorite Pinterest board!
Have you ever been to Ireland?
If you’re interested in reading about the week I spent in Ireland in 2017, check these articles out! I spent one day in Dublin, then headed off to a Ring of Kerry small group tour with Rabbies Tours – and it was amazing! My favorite part of the tour was the two days I spent in Killarney.
Then I went back to Dublin, where I caught my flight home to Miami…and suffice it say, I left a little bit of my heart in Ireland and I can’t wait to go back for a second, third, fourth…well, you get it! I want to go back as often as possible! As lovely as my tour through the Ring of Kerry was, I can’t wait to see the rest of the country!