These Dutch Oven Chicken Thighs are incredibly easy to make, and they're loaded with flavor - thanks to poultry seasoning and black pepper. Super tender and juicy with crispy skin, these chicken thighs are every chicken lover's dream!
Chicken thighs are a great protein choice for a meal. They're lower in fat than beef and more tender and juicy than chicken breasts. I love making these thighs in the Dutch oven because it's so easy to do, and the results are so delicious.
Where can I find the recipe card?
If you’d rather skip all of my cooking tips and similar recipe ideas, hit the Jump to Recipe button for the printable recipe card.Jump to Recipe
Are you looking for more Easy Dinner Recipes?
I have a bunch of easy dinner recipes you can browse and pick from that are just as easy as our Dutch Oven Chicken Thighs!
Here are a few of my most recent Easy Dinner Recipes.
Easy Dinner Recipes
Dutch Oven Chicken Thighs
The core ingredients for this recipe are chicken thighs and seasonings. That's just about all you need. I sear the thighs in the Dutch oven, then I pop it into the oven and bake the thighs to perfection. It's a quick and easy recipe perfect for any day of the week.
Why You'll Love This Recipe
- It only uses a handful of basic ingredients.
- It's quick and easy, so it's super convenient.
- The seasoned skin gets nice and crispy, while the meat remains tender and juicy.
- It's a versatile main you can pair with all kinds of sides.
Get all of your cooking and baking supplies on Amazon.com!
Amazon Prime Fresh has TONS of household supplies and groceries at great prices and offers free delivery with an Amazon Prime membership! Sign up for Amazon Prime Fresh here!
Ingredients for Dutch Oven Chicken Thighs
You'll only need a total of five - FIVE - ingredients to make this recipe, so even if you don't have a single ingredient in your kitchen, you can get everything you need in just minutes at your local grocery store.
The ingredients for these thighs are listed here, but you can find the exact amounts in the recipe card at the end of the post.
- Olive oil
- Bone-in, skin-on chicken thighs
- Black Pepper
- Poultry seasoning
How to Make Dutch Oven Chicken Thighs
A little searing and baking is all it takes to make these delicious chicken thighs. It's so easy and so fast, both of which are important parts of any recipe for me!
The highlights are right here, but you can find the full instructions in the recipe card at the end of the post.
1: Season the chicken thighs, then add the oil and sear the thighs on medium-high heat until golden and crispy on both sides.
2: Place the lid on the Dutch oven. Transfer it to the oven and bake at 350 until their internal temperature registers 165 to 175 degrees with a meat thermometer.
3: Let the chicken rest for a few minutes with the lid on and serve.
Substitutions and Variations
- Use your favorite seasonings for these thighs to change up the flavor.
- You can use this method for cooking pork chops, as well.
Top Tips for the best Dutch Oven Chicken Thighs
- Be sure to preheat the Dutch oven before adding the chicken thighs for the best searing! You will know that the oil is ready when it's smoking.
- Only flip your chicken thighs once. Constant flipping reduces the heat of the Dutch oven and makes the searing process take longer.
- Stop cooking the chicken thighs as soon as you get a nice golden brown color and a crispy skin. The baking is where the bulk of the cooking happens.
Equipment You Need to Make this Easy Chicken Dinner
- Measuring spoons - Everyone needs at least a basic set of measuring spoons in their kitchen!
- Dutch Oven with Lid - You can check out this 4.3 Quart Dutch Oven with Lid if you have a smaller family, or this 6 Quart Dutch Oven with Lid for larger families - or to bring to a potluck dinner! Both can be found at affordable prices on Amazon.com.
What to Serve with Dutch Oven Chicken Thighs
Chicken in all forms is a versatile meat that pairs well with almost anything you can possibly think of! From Crock Pot Baked Potatoes or a Herbed Basmati Rice Pilaf to your favorite vegetables, almost EVERYTHING goes well with this simple chicken dinner!
Otherwise, here are a few of our most recent easy side dish recipes that you might like to try!
Dutch Oven Chicken Thighs FAQ
How do you sear chicken?
Add a small amount of oil to your Dutch oven or skillet and heat it over medium-high heat until the oil begins to smoke. Then, add the chicken thighs and cook until golden on both sides.
How do you know when the chicken thighs are ready to flip?
Use your tongs to give your chicken thighs a little wiggle. If they release easily from the bottom of the Dutch oven, they're ready to flip. If not, keep cooking them.
My chicken thighs didn't sear. What happened?
If your oil isn't hot enough, your chicken thighs won't sear properly. The skin will cook, but it will be soft rather than crispy, and the meat will cook too long before being added to the oven.
Share this Dutch Oven Chicken Thighs with your friends and family on social media!
If you love this Dutch Oven Chicken Thighs recipe as much as we do, please leave me a 5-star review below and help me share this recipe on Facebook, Twitter and Pinterest!
If you do make the recipe, I hope you’ll share that you tried it on Pinterest! I love it SO MUCH when readers share their feedback!
Are you looking for something sweet to make for dessert?
Once you have this easy Dutch Oven Chicken Thighs dinner ready to go, you might want a tasty dessert to round out the meal! Here are some of our most recent dessert recipes!
To print this Dutch Oven Chicken Thighs recipe, click the recipe card below!
I know that many people still like to print out recipes and keep them in a recipe binder, or simply have the printed recipe sitting in front of them when it comes time to cook!
Dutch Oven Chicken Thighs
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Add oil to Dutch oven and heat over medium high heat until hot.
- Add chicken thighs and season with salt, pepper and poultry season.
- Sear and fry chicken thighs on both sides until browned, about 6-8 minutes.
- Remove from heat and cover.
- Place in preheated oven for 35-40 minutes, or until the chicken is no longer pink and registers an internal temperature of 165-175 degrees F.
- Let stand, covered for five minutes before serving.