I love making Muddy Buddies, as you might recall from my Halloween Muddy Buddies Recipe that I shared with you guys a few months ago. With Saint Paddy’s day rolling around, I thought I’d try my hand at making a Saint Patrick’s Day Muddy Buddies Recipe, as it has been so long since I’ve created a recipe myself for you guys! Don’t get me wrong, it’s been nice having contributors do the messy work for me the past few months while I’ve been swamped, but…I missed it! Baking and making goodies are my favorite things to do for the blog, so I set out a few weekends ago to make time for it – stay tuned in a few weeks when I share the Easter Muddy Buddies that I made!
It’s pretty funny to think about it, but I never knew that Muddy Buddies or Puppy Chow was a real thing! My mom has been making a version of this since I was a kid; just Chex mix coated with Wilton candy melts and tossed with dried cranberries and other assorted goodies. To be quite honest, I can eat just the candy-coated Chex mix by itself – it doesn’t need a bunch of mix-ins.
So you will find that my Muddy Muddies are always pretty simple, without a lot of additional candy mixed in. For this fun recipe, I decided to scoop out some of the marshmallows from our Lucky Charms cereal for a little extra Irish oomph!
Saint Patrick’s Day Muddy Buddies Recipe
Saint Patrick's Day Muddy Buddies Recipe
- 1 bag green Wilton Candy Melts
- 1 cup of marshmallows from Lucky Charms Cereal
- 6 cups Chex Rice Cereal
- 1/3 teaspoon shortening like Crisco
- 2 cups powdered sugar confectioner sugar
- Microwave your candy melts in a microwave safe bowl for 45 seconds, then stir microwave for another 30 seconds, then stir again. At this point, the candy will be mostly melted. Microwave for an additional 20 seconds if necessary to make sure its completely melted.
- Stir in shortening to thin out the candy melts and make it easier to coat the cereal.
- Pour the Chex Rice Cereal into a gallon sized Ziploc bag and pour in the melted candy. Gently shake the bag, rolling it around so that the cereal coats evenly with the melted candy.
- Pour onto a cookie sheet lined with wax paper and spread it out as thinly as possible.
- Sift powdered sugar all over the cereal. Lift the ends of the waxed paper and roll the cereal around to distribute the sugar. Repeat until you have the desired coverage.
- Place into the fridge for about five minutes, so that the candy hardens and sets.
- Pour into a bowl, add your marshmallows and toss to distribute. No one wants a bite without marshmallows!
Note: While most Muddy Buddy recipes call for the addition of peanut butter, I left it out due to so many people having peanut allergies. We aren’t allergic to any nuts in our home, but to tell you the truth, I am the only one who loves peanut butter around here, so I don’t usually add it to our Muddy Buddies. These taste delicious without it!
Of course you can add peanut butter if you like, just stir in a tablespoon or two to your melted candy before coating the cereal, and skip the shortening, as the peanut butter has enough oil in it to thin out the melted candy.
You can use lots of goodies to make this Saint Patrick’s Day Muddy Buddies Recipe extra sweet: how about white chocolate chips, green M&M’s – anything green fits the bill!
How do you like your Muddy Buddies?