Living in the modern world, we rely heavily on electricity, sometimes even taking it for granted. You can always find the best providers and rates at Utility Bidder, but sometimes we forget altogether that we have to pay for the electricity that we use at home. Constantly using electricity at home is not without its drawbacks. There are some potentially dangerous electrical hazards at home that can be a cause for concern for all residents young and old.
Substandard Wiring & Cheap Electrical Switches
Homeowners should install good quality wires that conform to the international safety standards and local safety standards within the community. Unfortunately, in reality, this is not always the case. The objective of homeowners today is to get the cheapest repairs done on their house without thinking about the safety of the residents. Houses often have damaged, frayed, chipped, corroded or torn wires that can become the centre mark of accidents.
Regularly have an electrician check for:
- Overheating wires
- Old damaged wires due to coming in contact with heat, corrosion or the elements
- Wires damaged by rodents or insects
- Loosely connected electrical switches
- Excessive connections on an extension wire
- Accidentally pierced wires
All of these electrical hazards have the potential to cause an electrical fire.
Electrical Outlets Too Close To Water Sources
Dining rooms, bathrooms, kitchens and swimming pools are all places where water is used abundantly. Water is an extremely good conductor of electricity. Installing electrical sockets extremely close to water sources can be hazardous to anyone and everyone exposed to the water. Avoid using radios, hairdryers, phones, laptops and other electrical appliances extremely close to water sources.
If you have a swimming pool at home, avoid using unnecessarily long extension wires close to the swimming pool. Be careful if you are handling appliances with wet hands because you can easily get electrocuted. Do not reach for the hair dryer or any other electrical appliance while you are still inside the pool or wet.
Pouring Water On Electrical Fires
Pouring water on an electrical fire is one of the biggest mistakes. There can be occasions when an electrical fire occurs at home. Remember that water will only add fuel to the fire. The water that comes into contact with the electrical fire has the potential to electrocute anyone that it comes into contact with.
The best and only way to put out an electrical fire is to use a fire extinguisher. Every home should have at least one fire extinguisher. Keep the fire extinguisher in a safe and easily accessible place in case of a fire. Make sure that the fire extinguisher is in working condition from time to time.
Using Extension Cords Safely
Extension cords are one of the most common reasons for electrical accidents to occur at home. First of all, make sure that the extension cord is firmly connected to the wall socket. A loosely connected extension cord can cause an electrical fire if it comes into contact with any flammable material.
Never use extension wires as a permanent substitute for additional power sockets. The extension wire can go up into flames if the wires become corroded due to the constant flow of electricity. Do not cover extension wires with a carpet or any other combustible material. If the extension wire is damaged it can cause an electrical fire.