I made my delicious homemade eggnog recipe using SPLENDA® Sweetener Products
as part of a sponsored post for Socialstars #SplendaSweeties #SweetSwaps
Homemade Eggnog Recipe – A Favorite Holiday Drink
When it comes to holiday sweets and treats, we all have that one favorite flavor that comes to mind. Sure, Pumpkin Spice gets a lot of glory and attention these days, but for me it’s all about the homemade eggnog! Have you ever had homemade eggnog? I have to say, it’s so much better than anything you’ll find in the grocery store…no offense to those delicious store-bought brands, they are great and are easy…but sometimes it’s worth it to put in a little extra effort for fresh flavors! If you’re a regular reader, then you know I’ve been trying to live a healthier lifestyle this year. I want to keep fit and trim, but I still want to enjoy my life and delicious food and drink are a big part of that! Making homemade eggnog cuts out a ton of the added calories and additives that I’m trying to limit in my diet. This year, I swapped out sugar for SPLENDA® No Calorie Sweetener, Granulated. It has the same awesome flavor, and even less calories than my original homemade eggnog recipe. There’s none of the bitterness that you might find with other sugar substitutes and if you didn’t know I swapped, you’d never taste the difference. Seriously.
Homemade Eggnog Recipe
Homemade Eggnog Recipe - A Favorite Holiday Drink
- 6 Egg Yolks
- 1/2 Cup SPLENDA® No Calorie Sweetener Granulated
- 1 Cup Heavy Whipping Cream
- 2 Cups Milk
- 1/2 TSP Nutmeg
- Tiny Pinch of Salt
- 1/4 TSP Vanilla
- Fresh Ground Cinnamon On Top
- In large mixing bowl, whisk egg yolks and SPLENDA® No Calorie Sweetener, Granulated together until creamy and well incorporated.
- Combine heavy cream, milk, nutmeg and salt In a saucepan over medium heat. You want to stir often (so it doesn't burn to bottom of pan) until mixture reaches a slight simmer. Do not let it boil! Adding only a 1/4 cup of the hot milk at a time to the egg mixture, whisk, whisk, whisk. You don't want to scramble to eggs. Repeat until all hot milks are mixed with eggs.
- Pour the entire thing back into the saucepan. Whisking constantly. Mixture needs to reach *160 degrees so keep on low/med heat.
- Remove from heat. Stir in the vanilla.
- Pour the eggnog into a container and cover with plastic wrap. This will stop a film from forming on the top while chilling. Refrigerate 2-3 hours.
- Serve topped with whipped cream and fresh shaved cinnamon.
I am not a fan of the whole raw egg recipe my grandmother used to make – as authentic as that style may be. You’ll need to grab your cooking thermometer and be sure this homemade eggnog recipe reaches *160. This also contains no alcohol so it’s safe for the kiddos! But, feel free to add a shot…or 5 to yours. Typically, I make two batches. One with the booze and one without.
I’ve really enjoyed the recipes I’ve made using SPLENDA® No Calorie Sweetener! They are so versatile, and can be used in baking, cooking, AND beverage mixing. Check out my Spiced Apple Hand Pies for an awesome make-ahead breakfast for the kids or a perfect party food, I swapped sugar with SPLENDA® No Calorie Sweetener in those as well!