I made this delicious Spiced Apple Hand Pies recipe using SPLENDA® Sweetener Products
as part of a sponsored post for Socialstars #SplendaSweeties #SweetSwaps
Fall Is Here And That Means Apple Picking and Baking! Whip Up These Easy Spiced Apple Hand Pies In Just 30 Minutes. They Make A Perfect Dessert or Breakfast!
Spiced Apple Hand Pies
Fall for me is all about the sweet smell of delicious baked goods. Living in Miami, we don't really get the beauty of trees changing colors. Being a glass half full kinda girl, I take the positives and run with them. And, we all love how the house smells when baking with fall harvested apples, right? My neighbor and I were talking about bake sale goods and I thought how can I incorporate that amazing scent into the school's bake sale. BOOM! Hand Pies are the new cupcake, so I decided to give those a whirl. Keeping in mind my new lifestyle changes to eat a bit better, I made a Sweet Swap and used SPLENDA® Brown Sugar Blend for all the sweetness of regular brown sugar, without all the calories! And ya know what? I couldn't even tell the difference. Come, see what I did!
Spiced Apple Hand Pies Recipe
Spiced Apple Hand Pies Recipe
- Ready Made Pie Crust choose your favorite brand or make your own homemade
- 5 Cups Apples peeled, diced
- ¼ Cup SPLENDA® Brown Sugar Blend packed
- 2 TBS Butter
- 1 teaspoon Cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon Ground Clove
- ¼ teaspoon Nutmeg
- Preheat oven to *375
- In a large skillet, heat apples, butter, brown sugar and all spices on stove top. Stir to incorporate.
- Cook until apples start to soften. Don't over-cook and let the apples get mushy. They will continue to soften in the oven when baking.
- Set aside and allow to cool.
- Roll out pie crust on well floured surface. Use a cookie cutter or trace around a small bowl, cup, etc to make 5in diameter circles.
- Place dough circles on cookie sheet. Using a teaspoon, top ½ of each circle with apple mixture.
- Fold each circle dough in half and press edges together to seal. Use a fork to make the cute fluted edges.
- Brush the top of each hand pies with melted butter and sprinkle lightly with SPLENDA® Brown Sugar Blend.
- Slice the top to allow hand pies to vent. It's decorative and cute yes, but also prevents hand pies from puffing up into apple pillows.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes. Hand pies should be golden brown.
They turned out so good! Angeline grabbed one on her way to school the other morning. Took about 90 seconds in the toaster oven to warm it up. My neighbor and I decided that aside from bake sale goods, these would be great as an adult game day treat. Add a few drops of bourbon to the apples while they are cooking and that's a pretty sweet crowd pleaser that couldn't be easier to make!
Freeze prior to baking and have a quick weekday freezer meal breakfast for the kids! Hand pies can be a great grab and go when you're in a hurry.
When spring comes around and you're all apple-d out, try using some fresh blackberries in their place. But keep the SPLENDA® Sweetener! They are versatile, and can be used in baking, cooking, AND beverage mixing. Hello holiday drinks! I'm using the different varieties to keep less sugar and save calories in tons of my favorite recipes.
Find some cool new recipes for yourself by following SPLENDA® online at: