This recipe for Red White and Blue Cookies for Memorial Day and 4th of July is so fun and tasty!
These red white and blue cookies are very much like a shortbread cookie - they are really great with coffee, or add to ice cream! You might even want to make a ice cream sandwiches!
This post may contain affiliate links which means we receive a small commission at no cost to you when you make a purchase. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. Please see my disclosure for more information.
Why you will love our recipe for these Red White and Blue Cookies for 4th of July
I was so happy with the Red, White and Blue Cookie Bars that I shared with you guys last year! Our red white and blue m&m cookies bars came out really cute and did well with you guys, my sweet readers!
So of course I wanted to share even more delicious, and FUN patriotic themed treats this year for Memorial day, 4th of July and Labor Day! I have always loved celebrating the 4th of July, especially when Angeline was a little kid!
Coming from an Army family, then marrying a Marine, you can only imagine the patriotism in our home! We used to even go buy the special 4th of July tee shirts at Old Navy every year to wear on the 4th of July!
I think that the 4th of July is one of our favorite American holidays because it is so much fun for kids! Coming right after the end of the school year in June, it is so easy to get the kids excited for fireworks, beach days and family barbecues. Coming right after Memorial Day, the 4th of July is like our official start to summer!
Are you looking for other Recipes to serve for your Memorial Day or 4th of July BBQ like these red white blue cookies?
Check out these delicious recipes that I have shared over the years that are just perfect for Memorial Day, 4th of July, Labor Day and Veteran's Day. They are all tried and true recipes that I have made over the years, or my trusty food writers have made.
I think you will love them all, especially this Red White and Blue Cheesecake Trifle Recipe! Of course, this is just a small selection of our patriotic recipes! We have LOTS of recipes on the site that are perfect for your summer celebrations!
Just type in “patriotic” or "red, white and blue" into the search bar on the right hand side of the screen. They will pop up for you! Or click here to go straight to the Red White and Blue recipes category!
Related Red White and Blue Recipes
Looking for other recipes like this 4th July dessert? Try these:
Red White and Blue Recipes
How to Make this Red White and Blue Swirl Cookies Recipe
Here all of the ingredients that you will need to gather to make our Red White and Blue Cookies
- all purpose flour - do not use cake flour in this recipe
- baking powder - we are going to use both baking powder AND baking soda in this recipe
- baking soda - the chemical reaction created by combining baking soda with liquid, acid, and heat, carbon dioxide is created. These tiny CO2 gas bubbles allow for soft and airy baked goods
- kosher or iodized salt - it is okay to use either iodized salt or kosher salt, just do not use sea salt
- butter, softened to room temperature
- light brown sugar - make sure that you are using light brown sugar. Dark brown sugar will be too strong and effect the flavor AND coloring
- granulated sugar - yes, we are going to use both light brown sugar AND white sugar in this recipe
- eggs - you can use regular white eggs or brown eggs in this recipe
- pure vanilla extract - make sure it is pure vanilla extract and NOT vanilla flavoring
- red and blue food coloring - we like to use Wilton Red and Royal Blue Color Gels
Please note that all of the exact amounts for each ingredient are listed in the printable recipe card at the end of this post.
Get all of your cooking and baking supplies on Amazon.com!
If you are struggling to find some of these supplies, check out all of the item available to you with Amazon Prime Fresh! They have most household supplies and groceries fully in stock and you can get free delivery with your Amazon Prime membership! Sign up for Amazon Prime Fresh here!
Top tip for making our red white and blue sugar cookies
You do need to plan ahead when making these cookies, as refrigeration is absolutely necessary for the dough. If you do not refrigerate the cookie dough for at least 12 hours, they will not turn out right.
Instructions for How to Make this Red White Blue Cookie recipe
We are going to begin by adding our all purpose flour, both the baking powder and the baking soda and salt in a medium mixing bowl. Mix these dry ingredients together well and then set them aside while we work on the wet ingredients.
In a large bowl - or bowl of a stand mixer, add together your softened butter and both the granulated sugar and light brown sugar. Beat them together well until the mixture is light and fluffy. This should take just about 5 minutes.
Add eggs and vanilla and beat well.
Add flour mixture and mix until just combined.
Divide dough into thirds and return one third of the dough to the mixing bowl. Color with red food coloring and beat until combined. Remove and rinse bowl and beater and color one third of the dough blue. Wrap all dough in plastic wrap and refrigerate for 2 hours.
Divide each dough in half and roll the red dough into roughly a 5" x 10" rectangle.
Lay on plastic wrap. Repeat with the white and blue layers, laying them on top of the red once rolled.
Take the three layers and, trim the dough on one of the short ends straight across with a knife. Beginning with that short end, roll the dough into a cylinder.
Wrap tightly with plastic wrap and return to the refrigerator for 4 hours or overnight.
Repeat so you have 2 cylinders of dough to refrigerate.
Once you are ready to begin baking your cookies, preheat oven to 375 degrees Fahrenheit and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
Unwrap cookie dough and slice the dough, ¼" thick.
Place onto baking sheet and bake for 7-9 minutes or until they just begin to brown. If you sliced your cookies thicker, you'll need to allow for extra baking time.
Once baking is complete, let set for 2 minutes on the sheet and then move to a wire rack to cool completely before serving.
This Red White and Blue Swirl Cookies Recipe for 4th of July makes 3-½ dozen cookies.
Variations of this Recipe for Red White and Blue Cookies
Our recipe is just about perfect as it is, so we do not suggest making any substitutions or variations. However we know that people LOVE to play around with recipes for a variety of reasons.
Just take note that if you change any of the ingredients or make any additions, the recipe will not turn out exactly like ours.
- blue cookies recipe - if you just want blue cookies with white swirls, omit the red food coloring
- blueberries - you can add ¼ cup dried blueberries if you want to add something chunky!
- chocolate chips - add ½ cup mini chocolate chips to the cookie dough to make these red white and blue cookies chocolate chip cookies!
If you are looking for something a little more chocolaty, try our Crack Chocolate Cookie Bars Recipe!
Equipment you will need for making this recipe for Red White and Blue Cookies
Equipment can have a big impact on how a recipe turns out. We suggest the following kitchen equipment for making this recipe.
- Non Stick Cookie Pan - Set of 3 Nonstick Medium Cookie Pans will be your go-to set for endless uses. Measuring 15.2" x 10.2" x 0.7" allowing ample space for baking batches of holiday cookies, making sheet pan dinners or toasting appetizers.
- Cooling Rack for Baking - The 6 supporting feet raise the entire wire rack for better air circulation which makes foods much crispier than just laying flat on a baking sheet.
- Plastic Food Wrap - Glad Cling Wrap, 100 sq ft, food grade.
- Electric Hand Mixer - Includes a handy snap on storage case, 250 watts of power. With 6 speeds, including the QuickBurst button, you can adjust this kitchen mixer to accommodate any recipe.
- Mixing Bowls with Pour Spout - These nesting mixing bowls include three different sizes for a variety of cooking and baking needs. Small plastic bowl holds 1.2 quarts, medium bowl holds 1.9 quarts, and large bowl holds 3.6 quarts.
- Measuring Cups and Spoons Set - Including 5 measuring cups (⅛ cup, ¼ cup, ⅓ cup, ½ cup, 1 cup), 5 measuring spoons (¼ tsp, ½ tsp, 1 tsp, ½ tsp, 1 tablespoon ), 1 funnel. Meet all your needs on cooking and baking.
How to Store these Red White and Blue Cookies
You can store these red white and blue cookies in an airtight container for up to 3 days. You can also put them in a food safe Ziplock freezer bag and freeze them for up to a month.
You can easily make these swirl cookies ahead of time and freeze them, as they do freeze really well.
Share this recipe for Red White and Blue Cookies with your friends and family on social media!
If you love this Red White and Blue Cookies recipe as much as we do, please leave me a 5-star review below and help me share this recipe on Facebook, Twitter and Pinterest!
If you do make the recipe, I hope you’ll share that you tried it on Pinterest! I love it SO MUCH when readers share their feedback!
Are you looking for more dessert recipes like our Red White and Blue Cookies?
Are you looking for other delicious dessert recipes like this recipe for Red White and Blue Cookies? Try these:
To print the recipe for our Red White and Blue Cookies, simply click the printable recipe card below!
I know that many people still like to print out recipes and keep them in a recipe binder, or simply have the printed recipe sitting in front of them when it comes time to cook!
Sometimes it is just easier to go off a recipe when it is printed right in front of you. Who wants to swipe their screen on their phone or tablet when their hands are greasy? So I love offering this option as well!
Red White and Blue Cookies
- Add flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt in a mixing bowl and mix well. Set aside.
- Add butter and sugar in a mixing bowl and beat well until light and fluffy, about 5 minutes.
- Add eggs and vanilla and beat well. Add flour mixture and mix until just combined.
- Divide dough into thirds and return one third of the dough to the mixing bowl. Color with red food coloring and beat until combined. Remove and rinse bowl and beater and color one third of the dough blue. Wrap all dough in plastic wrap and refrigerate for 2 hours.
- Divide each dough in half and roll the red dough into roughly a 5" x 10" rectangle. Lay on plastic wrap. Repeat with the white and blue layers, laying them on top of the red once rolled.
- Take the three layers and, trim the dough on one of the short ends straight across with a knife. Beginning with that short end, roll the dough into a cylinder. Wrap tightly with plastic wrap and return to the refrigerator for 4 hours or overnight.
- Repeat so you have 2 cylinders of dough to refrigerate.
- Preheat oven to 375 and line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Unwrap cookie dough and slice the dough, ¼" thick. Place onto baking sheet and bake for 7-9 minutes or until they just begin to brown. If you sliced your cookies thicker, you'll need to allow for extra baking time.
- Once baking is complete, let set for 2 minutes on the sheet and then move to a wire rack to cool completely before serving.
Share this Red White and Blue Cookies Recipe for 4th of July to your favorite Pinterest board!
Are you looking for party supplies for the 4th of July?
Check out some of these fun, inexpensive party supplies from Amazon.com!
- INCLUDES: 1 Uncle Sam Top Hat in the package
- ONE SIZE FITS MOST - will fit most adults
- MADE OF: Soft, plush fabric in red, silver and blue colors with foam on the inside
- USE: Fun Novelty Party Hat for a Patriotic Party and 4th of July
- CELEBRATE LIFE WITH US: Since 1900 The Beistle Company’s mission has remained the same: to help people around the world celebrate life’s events by creating fun, high quality products using the finest materials
- The Fourth of July accessories set include 6 shutter shades glasses, 6 beaded necklaces, 10 hand held USA flags, 10 musical blow outs, and 56pcs temporary tattoo.
- Suitable for kids, teens, and adults, will bring great fun to patriotic parties. Enjoy a memorable time with your family and friends!
- The shutter glasses are 5.9x2.0in, necklaces 15.6in, held flags 5.5x8.2in flagpole 11.7in, blow outs 3.0in(Expand Size 8.65in), and tattoo stickers are 15 sheets 4.1x2.4in.
- All of the 4th of July party favors are made from environment-friendly materials, if stored properly, could reuse them for the next party!
- This Fourth of July party favors set add a fun touch to your party, suitable for patriotic event, Independence Day, Presidents Day, Flag Day, Carnival Celebration, Memorial Day, Veterans Day, Labor Day, Election day, Citizenship Celebrations, Firework party, 4th of July Parade, 4th of July BBQ, Picnics, Fourth of July block party, patriotic wedding or birthday party.
- This 4th of July party supplies have various classic American elements, shiny vibrant colors, great variety of red, blue and white supplies. Comes with all sorts of accessories, pre-assembled, and easy to use. Just combine them in the perfect look, meet your different needs to create a strong festive atmosphere.
- Star-spangled party favors! These patriotic pinwheels are fun for kids of all ages and make whimsical 4th of July party decorations! Just add a bunch to pails or vases and use them to line a walkway!
- These red, white & blue pinwheels are a great addition to parades, too!
- Includes a 5 inch pinwheel on a 11 inch stick. Bulk set of 36. (3 dozen)
- Includes 30 dinner paper plates (9 inches), 30 dessert paper plates (7inches), 30 stars napkins (folded: 6.5*6.5inches), 30 stripes napkins (folded: 6.5*6.5inches), 30 paper cups (9oz).
- These patriotic party decorations are mainly in red, white and blue colors. Printed with classic patriotic elements, such as American flag, stars and stripes. Very suitable for Independence day party.
- Suitable for Memorial day, Independence day party, Veterans day, Presidents day, Labor day, Patriotic themed party, American flag decor, Election day, Table, BBQ, Birthday, and so on.
- 3 pieces Military Army Homecoming themed plastic tablecloth, all-over printed with firework and stars in American blue white and red colors,embellish the table, light up your party,increase a festive atmosphere.
- Extra Large Size: table cover measures approx. 54 x 108 inches/ 137 x 274 cm, suitable for 8 feet long tables, which could accommodate for 8-10 people, large enough for Deployment Returning Day party decorations and other red white blue star themed birthday party supplies.
- Easy to Use: unfold it and put in on your dinner table, keep your tables stain-free from spilled milk, juice, oil or soda. Toss them away or simply wipe down and store for next time, help to save more time to enjoy party with your friends and family.
- Package incudes: 3Pcs 18 inch navy blue balloons, 3Pcs 18 inch red balloons, 3Pcs 18 inch white balloons, 10Pcs 12 inch confetti balloons, 20Pcs 12 inch navy blue balloons, 20Pcs 12 inch red balloons, 20Pcs 12 inch white balloons, 20Pcs 12 inch light blue balloons, 20Pcs 5 inch red balloons, 20Pcs 5 inch white balloons, 16Ft balloon arch strip, 100Pcs dot glue, tying tool, instruction.