How should parents motivate their children to learn?
Unwillingness to learn is the lack of proper motivation. How to stimulate a pupil correctly? What does influence the child motivation to learn?
Psychologist Alfie Kohn distinguishes three main factors:
- Small children want to learn, and they do not ask anything for that. They have a well-developed internal inducement, meaning they learn simply because they like it. Kids are interested in finding out something new.
- Those children who have maintained their internal motivation are learning effectively. The rest are considered to be failing, but it is not. Some students get bad marks, but they develop themselves in other areas. For example, they know by heart dozens of songs of a favorite artist (but math is their soft spot). Or they may be absorbed by a reading of science fiction, but they will do anything to avoid classical literature. The essence of internal motivation is just a curiosity.
- Promotion destroys internal motivation. Psychologists found out that if parents or teachers focus on any kind of encouragement, the children’s interest is consistently reduced.
In order to motivate child to study a few simple rules exist. But, these rules should be observed by everyone, by parents, first of all. So, how to motivate a wean who does not want to study. There are perfect ways to motivate to learn.
- Any child's question shouldn’t remain unanswered
Never dismiss his "why", regardless of your employment. Answering all of his questions, in detail and with interest, you form the child's installation, that the process of learning is interesting, important, and you, as parents, encourage it.
There are a lot of activities which can complement school education and give an opportunity to enjoy learning and discovering personal things. Books, video lessons, virtual courses, excursions, traveling, intellectual games, and quests are among them.
- Support every interest of your youngster
Just think about what motivates your child. If your kid is keen on chemistry – buy him or her a chemistry-related manual appropriate for his/her age. If you notice your baby preferring music – let it play any musical instrument of his/her choice. Visit public lectures, exhibitions on the subject of interest, together (this is important), taking into account an age. Discuss your impressions with a child, what it liked and what did not.
Invite coaches, people with alternative ways of training, psychologists who will help teachers expand their methods of interaction with the child to the school.
- Use your gadgets
Games, virtual courses, new ways of teaching can stimulate the student to perceive information as "his own". The internal setting of many children according to usual school methods of teaching: boring. Modern technologies are better to start using now. Try to expand the functionality of gadgets from the level of entertainment to the level of the way of learning.
- Create an environment, where the kid will feel himself comfortable
Do not forget that the child is greatly influenced by his environment. If most friends are both active and study well, your kinchin will be the same. Ask about an atmosphere in the school of your child. Teachers are very often not only poorly proficient but also rude to students. Visit the parents' meetings – this helps in clarifying the situation a lot.
- Do not overreact to bad grades.
Do not compare the kid's marks with siblings or classmates. Remember: in any situation you are his ally. Be sure to praise for high grades, creating a positive reinforcement. This will protect your tad from asking to write my essay in Australia. Just ask your child what has prevented him from doing better. If the help needed help - help, but to help doesn’t mean to do instead of him. Find a balance between an approval and control.
- Accept small victories
Smart and educated people do not always get high grades. Marks are a kind of external motivation, which, unfortunately, has become punitive. Begin with a brighter reaction on high grades. Well and notice an originally written essay instead of blots and errors in the text. It will give a strong motivation in education.
Turn a process of a correction of mistakes into an exciting quest, for instance, to find a letter, which was lost, stained, what it takes to prevent it from behaving like this... In order to create a motivation for kids, try to teach your chit to turn any mistake into a way of development, instead of an occasion for self-flagellation.
The motivation for students for learning is a daily work of parents. This is a constant psychological inclusion in the life of the child, in his interests and his aspirations.