Every year, my family gets together right before Halloween and watches scary movies. It’s a family tradition that’s been going on for almost 10 years. Each year, a different family hosts the evening and is in charge of picking out the movie and baking up scary snacks. This year, we are having a hard time finding a horror movie that we all agree is scary.
For instance, Texas Chainsaw Massacre – someone suggested that we watch one of those movies. And while I do think that they were incredible horror movies in their time, they lack the special effects and theatrical panache that today’s horror movies have going for them.
Here are the top 10 horror movies that scared the living daylights out of me as a child, but now make me laugh…
1. Poltergeist – I was a child (under 10 years old) the first time I saw one of the Poltergiest movies, and I was so terrified that I didn’t sleep well for months. For years, if I so much as thought about Carol Anne before I fell asleep, I would lay awake for hours, terrified out of my mind! Now? Now it’s goofy. I watched the first one again a few years ago and I got bored within 20 minutes.
2. Nightmare on Elm Street – Who was terrorized by Freddy and his razor claws? He could kill you in your sleep! Freddy was literally everyone’s worst nightmare back in the 80’s, but now it’s just silly.
3. The Birds – He was the king of psychological thrillers in his day…While it was scary in it’s time, it just can’t compare to movies like Insidious, you know what I mean? I have to admit, though, I still freak out when I see a hundred birds chilling on my power lines.
4. Rosemary’s Baby – By the 80’s, we had moved past psychological horrors and had things like Freddy and Jason to worry about…but in it’s day, Rosemary’s Baby was quite the scary movie!
5. The Omen – Another one of those movies that just can’t compete with today’s special effects! Even the remake was lame. Sorry, Juliana Stiles, but it was!
6. Troll – Yes, I went there. You know you were scared when you saw Troll as a child!
7. Hellraiser – I’ll be honest, as a child, I was so terrified of this guy that I never watched the movies. LOL As an adult, it was gross (all that blood!) but it didn’t scare me. I feel like I missed out!
8. Halloween – The old ones, of course. I remember being a kid and listening to Jamie Lee Curtis screeching and feeling my heart beating so fast I thought it’d fly right out my chest. Now? Yawn.
9. The Exorcist – This is touted as one of the most scary movies of all time…I freak out with supernatural horror movies, so I never saw this as a child. The first time I saw it I was in my 20’s and I thought to myself…”this is what all the fuss was about?”
And last, but certainly not least, we have…
10. When a Stranger Calls – I’m talking the original one from 1979. HOLY CRAP. That movie scared the bejesus out of me when I was a kid…especially when I babysat and the phone rang. It’s been remade plenty of times, but the original was by far the scariest! I watched this not too long ago on one of those nights when my husband was out of town and I am sad to report that I went to sleep afterwards with no problem whatsoever.
What movies terrified you as a child and now seem silly?
*Photos found on Google Images & weheartit.com