With Memorial Day and the 4th of July rapidly approaching, it’s time to start planning your back yard BBQ menus! This Simple Surprise Patriotic Cupcakes Recipe is so perfect for either occasion, they’re so festive and fun!
Plus, you have the added element of surprise….Your guests will think these are just cute festive cupcakes, until they bite into them and taste the sweet strawberry center! Just keep in mind that you are going to want your berries to be pretty small, so that they come out of the end of a piping bag.
Aren’t these just adorable and fun? Of course, you can use this same recipe for any occasion and just switch out the coloring and filling flavor to suit your needs.
When making this recipe, your best bet is to use the Wilton 1A Round tip, and use the Wilton 1M Star tip for the frosting.
A Strawberry Surprise Patriotic Cupcakes Recipe
Simple Surprise Patriotic Cupcakes Recipe
- Your favorite box of white cake and ingredients to make cake often oil, water and eggs
- 1 cup fresh strawberries diced
- 1/4 cup white sugar
- 2 Tablespoons cold water
- 2 Tablespoons corn starch
- 1 Tablespoon butter
- Blue Food Coloring
- -used Wilton color gels in Sky Blue
- red and white jimmies
- Bake cupcakes according to the package directions and let cool completely.
- In a saucepan on the stove, add strawberries and sugar. Bring to a boil over medium heat and stir constantly. Reduce heat and continue to boil as berries break down and soften.
- Combine corn starch and water in a separate container. Stir into berries as they boil to thicken. Heat for 1 minute. Remove from heat and stir in butter until completely melted.
- Let set to cool for about 15 minutes on the counter and then move to the refrigerator to cool completely.
- Place filling into a piping bag fitted with a metal tip. This is important as the tip needs to be on the bag so that it's stiff and can puncture the cupcake. Pipe