I absolutely love Muddy Buddies – or Puppy Chow, whatever you prefer to call these tasty, chocolaty and sugary little snacks! I found a ton of gorgeous little Valentine’s Day sprinkles in the $1 Spot at Target last week and decided to get a jump start on my Valentine’s Day goodies and whipped up this super easy Valentine’s Day Muddy Buddies recipe for you!
Well, it was mostly for me, but I thought I’d share it with you!
Almost the same thing, right?
I love making Muddy Buddies because they are SO easy and such a fun treat! If you’re really lazy, you can even pick up a bag of pre-made Muddy Buddies in the potato chip and snack aisle and just much away…but it’s really so easy to make them at home, why not experiment with different flavor combinations?
These are just regular old pink candy melt flavor – so they taste like white chocolate – but you can add a teaspoon of peanut butter, Nutella, etc to your candy melt mixture if you want to get adventurous.
Valentine’s Day Muddy Buddies Recipe
- ½ bag pink Wilton Candy Melts
- ¼ teaspoon shortening (like Crisco)
- 6 cups Chex Rice Cereal
- 3 cups confectioner sugar (more or less depending on your desired result)
- Various pink and red sprinkles
- Put your Wilton candy melts into a microwave safe bows.
- Heat for 45 seconds, then stir, put back into the microwave and heat an additional 30 seconds, then stir. If your candy melts aren’t completely melted after stirring, repeat at 20 second intervals until the candy is completely melted.
- Add ¼ teaspoon shortening and stir – this helps liquefy the candy melts and makes it easier to coat the rice cereal without getting too thick and bumpy.
- In a gallon sized Ziploc bag, pour Chex Rice Cereal and the melted candy melts.
- Gently shake the bag, rolling slowly, to completely coat the Rice Cereal with the melted candy melts. Pour in the powdered sugar and shake until the cereal mixture is completely coated.
Line a cookie sheet with waxed paper and empty rice cereal mixture on a cookie sheet. Spread the cereal mixture out as flat as possible and break apart – gently – any clumps. Shake the mixture around on the sheet to redistribute the powdered sugar.
I like to bounce a handful at a time in a sifter to remove all of the excess powdered sugar, but it’s not really necessary.
Place the waxed paper in the fridge for about five minutes to harden. Add sprinkles and serve!
Note: you can also sprinkle the candy-coated rice cereal with sprinkled or colored sugar before coating in confectioner sugar for extra effect!