I don’t know about you guys, but I hardly had any trick or treaters come to the door last week…which means that I was left with A LOT of leftover Halloween candy. In order to prevent myself from eating it all (chocolate is my weakness), I started looking up recipes for baked goods that incorporate candy. I found a Kit Kat Cookies Recipe that looked pretty good and gave it a try!
Unfortunately, now I have these incredibly delicious Kit Kat Cookies that I have to avoid eating…I should have just left well enough alone with the plain old candy!
You can find the original Kit Kat Cookies Recipe here, but I made a few changes to suit my tastes. For instance, I used a cup of milk chocolate chips and a cup of dark chocolate chips…because I freaking love dark chocolate!
Ever since I found a bag of Nestle Dark Chocolate Chips at Walmart two months ago, I’ve been adding them into everything I can!
I personally L O V E chewy cookies. I kind of hate crispy cookies. So I added an extra egg yolk to my dough.
Did you know that the white part of the egg is what firms a cookie up and makes it crispy? When you just use a yolk, it adds moisture and yields a more chewy cookie. Yum! I’ve only ever tried adding one extra yolk, so I don’t know what would happen if you added TWO extra ones.
And of course, if you don’t like chewy cookies, you can just omit that extra egg yolk altogether.
I chopped my Kit Kat bars into five pieces, but you can chop them smaller or larger if you like. I wanted big enough pieces that I would actually get a piece of Kit Kat bar in a bite, but if you just want the flavor in the cookies, it would be fine to chop them up smaller. If you’re making larger cookies, you can chop them into larger pieces too, of course.
Chocolate Chip Kit Kat Cookies Recipe
- 2 sticks of unsalted butter, room temperature (or you can microwave then for 25 seconds to soften up)
- 2 eggs plus 1 egg yolk
- 1 cup brown sugar, firmly packed
- ¾ cup granulated sugar
- ¾ teaspoon salt
- ¾ teaspoon baking soda
- 1 cup milk chocolate chips
- 1 cup dark chocolate chips (or you can just use two cups of milk chocolate chips)
- 1½ cup chopped Kit Kat bars
- 3 cups of all purpose flour
- Beat the sugar and butter together until nice and creamy, then beat in eggs and extra egg yolk, one at a time. Add in salt, baking soda and flour and beat lightly until thoroughly combined. Stir in the chocolate chips and Kit Kat bars - don't beat them in, just stir with a spoon so that they don't get broken up.
- Refrigerate the dough for about two hours.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees and line cookie sheets with parchment paper. Scoop the dough by heaping tablespoons and roll into balls, placing about two inches apart on the cookie sheet. Bake for 8 minutes for tender and chewy cookies, or up to 10 minutes for crispier cookies.
- Allow to cook for about ten minutes before devouring!
- This recipe makes about two dozen cookies, depending on how big you make them!
Now, what kind of Halloween candy are you going to throw into this cookie batter?