This is a sponsored post written by me on behalf of Iris by Lowe’s.
Over the last two years, I've written here and there about what it has been like for Angeline and I to adjust to living alone since my ex-husband moved out. There are so many changes that happen in your life after a divorce. We won't even get started on the emotional or financial aspect of divorce, as I think I've been pretty open about all of that over the course of time. But there's something that a lot of people don't realize happens when a woman in particular gets divorced...and lives alone for the first time in her life...you lose your sense of physical security. My ex-husband was a Marine, and we always felt safe with him in the house. Add to that that I've never lived alone in my entire life...well, you can probably imagine all the late nights I have spent lying in bed with my ears honed in on every little noise, every car that drove by, everything that I imagined went bump in the night. It can be downright SCARY to find yourself with your daughter, alone in a house for the first time. When I was asked to install Iris by Lowe's home security system as part of a sponsored campaign, I didn't even hesitate.
A sense of security is something that every human being wants, and it was something that Angeline and I desperately needed. Especially since I travel so often, and she's left here alone in a big house all by herself - though, to be honest, her fiance practically lived with us these last few months, but he's just a young man and a very heavy sleeper, so we didn't really see him as a guardian of the night (Sorry, Max).
So, what exactly is Iris by Lowe's? Simply put, it's a home security system that helps you sleep well at night! Iris is a DIY smart home and security system available at Lowe's that allows you to connect an entire range of Iris-compatible smart devices in your home through ONE SINGLE APP. That's right; every Iris product you set up in the house? You can view it all right from an app on your Apple or Android smartphone! You can get started for free with the Basic plan, or upgrade to other plans for advanced controls. All Iris plans include an easy DIY installation, no long-term contracts, and no activation fees.
Yes, that's right - you can totally use Iris by Lowe's FOR FREE with the basic plan, but I personally recommend the $14.95 a month plan for the professional monitoring service, because it's really the best value you can get with home monitoring services. That's the equivalent of two fast food breakfasts, or a few coffees on your way to work. You can't beat it!
Iris is designed to allow for a super easy setup, and when I received my package and saw the contents, I was honestly a little surprised by just how simple it really was!
Iris works with over 100+ smart devices including sensors, switches, plugs, keypads, locks, thermostats, bulbs, alarms, detectors, garage openers, heaters, vents and more.
Do you want to give Iris by Lowe's a try for yourself? There are plenty of products to choose from, but you'll need the Iris Smart Hub to get started. It retails for about $69.99, and is the center of the Iris network, connecting to all of the devices in your home. You can connect all of your Iris compatible smart products like thermostats, lights, sensors and more and control them all from the Iris app.
Yes, I said "and more," because you can actually connect your Iris Smart Hub to other brand products as well...Google Home, Amazon Echo, First Alert, as well as others!
The Iris Security Pack is $99.00, which is what I received. It includes:
- Increase protection at home for a fraction of the cost of traditional home security systems
- Secure off-limit or valuable areas of your home
- Receive immediate alerts if doors or windows open unexpectedly
- Deter intruders by scheduling lights to turn on and off while away from home
- Compatible with Iris Smart Home System
- Manage and monitor your smart devices through Iris App on your Smartphone
- Iris requires broadband internet, iOS 8.0+ on an iPhone5 or later or Android 4.1+
- Works with Google Home for voice control of your devices
My favorite individual product is the Utilitech Indoor Door and Window Sensor, which lets you know immediately via the app if the glass it's nearby is broken - I placed it next to my french doors that open to the back yard, which for some reason cause me the most worry.
Thank goodness I got all of the power tools in the divorce. It required a little manpower to install...I wanted to install it above the french doors, and that ceiling plaster is tough!
It was very easy to install once I found my power drill. It took just a few seconds to drill three holes and BOOM: done.
As I mentioned above, there are several plans available for Iris.
The Basic Plan includes:
- Basic smart home system with self-monitored security
- Control over rules, scenes and scheduling of all your connected devices
- Notifications when alarms or alerts get triggered
- Ability to manage your devices remotely and stream video on your smartphone
- A 24-hour view of your history log
- Alerts via phone call and push notifications for emergency events; you control contacting the police when needed
The $9.99 Premium Plan includes all of the Basic features as well as:
- A Notification list for up to 6 people to receive alerts and alarm notifications
- Enhanced history service with a 14-day view and visualization of your history log (coming soon)
- 3GB Storage of Camera Video Clips
- A self-monitored Care service that notifies family members when loved ones daily routines are disturbed
- Alarm Tracker™ - real time visualization of an alarm event in your home
- Additional enhanced in-home, app, and web experiences, such as coordinated colors, lights, and sounds, for even greater benefits from having a smart home (Experiences subject to change and availability)
The $14.95 Professional Plan includes all of the aforementioned as well as:
- Full-service professional monitoring for burglary, smoke, fire and carbon monoxide, as well as panic alarms provided by UCC, an accredited CSAA Five-Diamond, UL certified professional central monitoring station
- Alarm Tracker™ - real time visualization that includes confirmation when emergency responders are notified
- 4G Cellular Backup service ($7.99/month value) to ensure your system is available in the event of a Wi-Fi outage (Additional equipment is required)
You can find out more about the wide range of Iris by Lowe's products here AND you can save 10% off Iris starter packs and smart hubs 5/30 – 6/29 by using the code MYIRISSECURITY at checkout! Please note that “MYIRISSECURITY” must be in all caps to work properly. You can find the full range of Iris by Lowe's products that quality for this discount here.
This is a sponsored post written by me on behalf of Iris by Lowe’s.
I LOVE that you can do all this installation for yourself. Having a security system in our home like this would be totally ideal and I really like the price tag on the monitoring service.
We bought a house not long ago and it used to have a security system, we don't like it and want to get something we can install ourselves, this looks like it would be perfect for us.
That looks like a cool way to make your home up to date. I would LOVE this if I owned my home!
It's amazing how much technology is out there these days for your home and work life. I Love the idea of turning my home into a smart home. I think this will be a cool idea to work on doing this summer season!
It used to require a technician to make your home smarter. This is so simple! I would love to integrate more safety into my home.