This Homemade Texas Caviar recipe makes a huge batch so it’s perfect for big parties – or for making ahead and snacking on for a few days. Can you think of any parties you might want to make this recipe for? I don’t know, say a big football game that happens to be coming up soon? Of course we all love chicken wings, nachos and chips and dip, but let’s throw a healthier option out there for those who are watching their weight or just don’t want that heavy, fried, fatty food while they’re getting their football on!
Full of beans and peppers, this is great low-fat, meat-free dip recipe that everyone will love. Even though it has two jalapeno peppers in it, it is not hot. It’s a bit sweet and will surprise your party guests!
Texas Caviar aka Vegetable Bean Dip
- 1 can black eyed peas drained
- 1 can black beans rinsed and drained
- 1 small jar pimiento drained and diced
- 1 cup chopped celery
- 2 finely chopped jalapeno peppers I always wear gloves when cutting these
- 1 can pinto beans rinsed and drained
- 1 can yellow corn drained
- 1 medium onion diced
- 1 cup chopped red or green pepper
- Mix above ingredients together in a large bow.
- Bring the following to a boil and add to the above mixture:
- teaspoon salt
- Tablespoon water
- /2 cup vegetable oil
- /2 teaspoon pepper
- /4 cup apple cider vinegar
- cup sugar
- Stir well to coat evenly.
- Cover and Refrigerate overnight Drain liquid before serving. I use a slotted spoon to transfer it to a serving dish.
Excellent with Frito Scoops. Just make sure you buy two bags! It makes that much dip!
You can also serve with tortilla chips.