I’ve had a week full of sponsored posts on the blog, and while I love sharing cool stuff with you guys and earning money, sometimes I just want to give y’all some fun! So I am totally sneaking in this Halloween Muddy Buddies Party Mix Recipe that I made this week.
Yum, right? Totally fun!
My mom just sent out a Facebook invite for our family’s seventh annual Halloween Scary Movie Night and I wanted to get a head start on my Halloween snacks! My mom has been making what she calls Scooby Snacks or Reindeer Poop (we all call it something different) for years now and it’s basically a chocolate version of Chex Mix. The funny thing is that I never knew there was actually a Chex Party Mix! When Angeline went off to camp a few summers ago, they made Muddie Buddys and she came home and told me about it.
Chex cereal, peanut butter, chocolate and powdered sugar…obviously I was all over that!
I picked up a bag of Halloween Nestle chocolate chips at Walmart earlier this week and figured it would be super fun to make a Halloween Muddy Buddies Party Mix by separating the orange and brown chocolate chips, and of course I had to add some Reese’s Pieces to give it that extra pop of Halloween colored fun!
Halloween Muddy Buddies Party Mix Recipe
- 1 cup of Halloween Nestle chocolate chips, with the brown and orange chips divided
- (you can definitely substitute white chocolate chips for the orange and just add a touch of orange food coloring if you need to)
- ½ cup peanut butter , divided
- 1½ cup confectioners sugar, divided
- 1 bag of Reese's Pieces (pick out the orange and yellow ones)
- 9 cups of Chex cereal, divided
- ¼ cup butter, divided
- Melt your brown chocolate chips, ¼ cup peanut butter, ⅛ cup butter in a microwave safe bowl for 1 minute, then stir. Cook for an additional minute, then stir until completely creamy. Pour 4.5 cups Chex cereal into a gallon-sized Ziploc bag and pour the chocolate mixture over it and seal, then shake gently until all of the cereal is evenly coated. Then pour it into a new gallon-sized Ziploc bag and pour ¾ cup of the confectioners sugar and seal, shaking gently until all of the cereal is evenly coated in the sugar. It should lighten the color but you should still be able to see that it's brown! Feel free to add more confectioners sugar if you don't feel that they're coated enough. There's never really too much sugar!
- Repeat with the orange chocolate chips.
- I realize that it's a total pain to go through this process twice but the results are freaking adorable!
- Pour each bag onto a baking sheet lined with wax paper and refrigerate for about 20 minutes to set. Pour both colored Halloween Muddy Buddies into a large bowl, add in your Reese's Pieces and gently shake the bowl to mix the colors - it's okay to use your hands to help them along!
Now let’s see if I can resist eating the gallon bag of this Halloween Muddy Buddies mix that’s sitting in the fridge this weekend…I better get this out of the house ASAP because I am not feeling particularly strong on my diet right now!