This is my second year participating in the Food Blogger Cookie Swap and I was so excited to try a new Christmas Cookie Recipe to share! I am really digging all things peppermint this year, so I went with a Peppermint Chocolate Chip Cookies Recipe for the first time ever!
If you're not familiar with the Food Blogger Cookie Swap, you can find out more about it here, but essentially, baking bloggers sign up for a cookie swap through the mail, and send a dozen cookies to three other bloggers who are selected for them. I don't know which part I like more: sending my cookies to others, or receiving delicious cookies myself!
When you get cookies in the mail, you know it's going to be a good day, right?
Our first delivery were Old Fashioned Sugar Cookies by The Keenan Cookbook, which Angeline just ate up! Our next delivery came from Adventures in the Kitchen, which were delicious Orange Spice Sables. I've never had these before, and they quickly became a favorite!
Our last delivery, which were these delectable little cookies with a hint of lime, arrived courtesy of A Beautiful Bite. They were so tasty that Angeline and I ate the entire dozen in one afternoon!
Now...onto MY cookies! This Peppermint Chocolate Chip Cookies Recipe was actually pretty easy to make, and you can easily switch out the mint chocolate chips for regular throughout the year to make them a little less pepperminty. But why would you want to do that?
The peppermint is the best part! Well, aside from all the chocolate...
Now, I am quite experienced with making chocolate chip cookies, but I rarely make chocolate cookies, so I had nothing to go on for these Peppermint Chocolate Chip Cookies. I knew I wanted a chewy chocolate cookie but wasn't sure how to transition my regular chewy cookie recipe into a chocolate one, so I found this chewy chocolate chip cookie recipe on Food.com and made some changes to suit my needs.
Peppermint Chocolate Chip Cookies Recipe
Yields 5 dozen cookies
Allow them to cool on the cookie sheet for a few minutes, then remove to cooling racks and allow to cool for about 10 minutes.
Peppermint Double Chocolate Chip Christmas Cookies Recipe
- 1 ¼ cups unsalted butter softened
- 2 cups granulated white sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 2 teaspoons peppermint extract
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- ¾ cup cocoa
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 2 ½ cups Nestle Tollhouse chocolate and mint chocolate chips 12 oz. pkg.
- *For Christmastime: substitute one of those ½ cups with Nestle Tollhouse Holiday Chocolate Chips the red and green colors!
- Preheat your oven to 350. In a large bowl; beat together your butter and sugar until it's creamy, light and fluffy.
- Add the eggs one at a time, beating well after each addition, then add in the vanilla and beat for one minute, until completely combined.
- Combine the flour, cocoa powder, baking soda and salt and gradually blend into the butter mixture. Beat for about a minute on low speed, until all ingredients are thoroughly combined. DO NOT OVERBEAT. Add in chocolate chips and stir - do not beat.
- Scoop by teaspoonfuls and roll into balls in the palm of your hand. Place about two inches apart on a parchment paper lined cookie sheet, baking for 8 to 9 minutes.
- When you remove them from the oven, they will not look done, but they will harden up a bit once they cool down.