Being the travel junkie that I am, I love watching the Travel Channel. I get new ideas of places I'd like to visit and learn about the cuisines in far off destinations and my favorite show combines the two: Anthony Bourdain's "No Reservations."
From one travel junkie to another, I wanted to share with you Anthony Bourdain's top tips for holiday travel!
1. Eat like a local. Wherever you are, eat what the locals are good at or famous for, and eat where those locals like to eat it. Do not rely on your concierge for dining tips. He’s in the business of making tourists happy. You want the places that make locals happy. Seek out places crowded with locals. Avoid places where others of your kind are present.
2. Show appreciation. People everywhere like it when you are appreciative of their food. I cannot stress enough how important your initial reactions to offerings of local specialties are to any possible relationships you might make abroad. Smile and try to look happy, even if you don’t like it. If you do like it, let them know through word or gesture of appreciation.
3. Visit local markets. Get up early and check out the central food market. It’s a fast way into a culture, where you’ll see the basics of the cuisine. You’ll often find local prepared foods at stands or stalls serving markets’ workers.
4. Travel prepared. Be prepared to be stuck in an airport for indeterminate periods of time. Load your mobile device with as many games, songs, apps, and e-books as possible to keep busy during long waits. Also, make sure to pack a battery charger to power up.
5. Get comfortable. Remember to bring something scrunchy and long-sleeved, like a sweatshirt. You might need it as a pillow.
Travel Channel’s “No Reservations” Collection 6 Part 1 DVD was recently released and I've been watching episodes, drooling over the fabulous food Anthony Bourdain has been eating and being so very jealous of all of the amazing places he is visiting! My very favorite episode was Caribbean Island Hopping - but I'm a bit partial to the Caribbean, as I've been traveling there a lot this summer!
Disc 1: Panama, Istanbul, Prague, New York Hudson Valley, Ecuador
Disc 2: Harbin China, Maine, Food Porn 2, Caribbean Island Hopping, Heartland
Disc 3: Bonus Features: Burning Questions, Techniques Special, Holiday Special
No Reservations Collection 6 Part 1 makes the perfect stocking stuffer for the jetsetter on your holiday list, so go check it out on Amazon!