Historic Route 66 is iconic Americana and driving the length of it is on many travelers bucket lists. Along Route 66 you’ll find a number of attractions and towns, but exploring Pontiac, IL is sure to be a highlight of the drive. I can think of at least 5 Reasons To Explore Pontiac IL On Historic Route 66 !
Pontiac is located less than a 2 hour drive from downtown Chicago and provides a variety of attractions and sights just waiting to be discovered. If you enjoy exploring historic towns, drooling over classic cars, or discovering the unusual than here are 5 great reasons why you’ll want to visit Pontiac, IL on historic Route 66.
5 Reasons To Explore Pontiac IL On Historic Route 66
1. Awesome Murals: A group of artists arrived in Pontiac in June 2009 and proceeded to paint the town. During their 3 day visit they created 18 Murals on downtown businesses. A walking tour of the town will take you past each of the murals, all which are photo worthy.
2. Black Light Wedding Dresses: Here is a little something that falls under the unusual category for your visit. These beautiful dresses are located in a small room of the Wall Dog Museum. In the room you’ll see 4 or 5 plain, simple, white wedding dresses. Yes, white. No colors are visible. However, shut the door, turn off the overhead lights, flip the switch for the black lights and the dresses explode in color. Honestly, this is something you have to see to appreciate. The dresses are amazing works of art created by resident Tang Dongbai.
3. Art Cars: These adorable cars are not out during the winter months, but you’ll find them along sidewalks and on street corners during the rest of the year. There are 15 cars all painted by local artists and art groups.
4. Four wonderful museums: International Walldog Mural and Sign Art Museum, Livingston County War Museum; Pontiac-Oakland Automobile Museum and Resource Center; Route 66 Association of Illinois Hall of Fame and Museum. This interesting looking bus sits behind the Route 66 Museum and can be toured during museum hours. All the museums have free admission.
5. Historic downtown: The quaint area provides visitors with the above mentioned attractions as well as unique shops, cafes, historic homes, a Lincoln statue and so much more. You’re sure to receive a warm welcome and have an enjoyable day exploring Pontiac, IL.