Traveling is fun, but it can also be tedious and frustrating, especially when you forget necessities at home. Make the actual travel part of traveling a breeze with the following tricks and tips.
1. When searching for cheap flights, enable private browsing. Some airlines will track your visit and raise the price if you’ve visited the website in the past.
2. Reduce static while keeping your clothing smelling fresh by putting a dryer sheet in the bottom of your suitcase.
3. Want to eliminate creases in folded clothes? Lay tissue paper over the garment before folding.
4. Roll your clothing instead of folding it. This works best for clothing that is wrinkle-proof.
5. Organize jewelry in pill containers.
6. Keep chargers, cables, and headphones neat in a glasses case. You can also keep headphone wires from tangling by wrapping them around a binder clip. Bonus: The clip will make it easy to secure your headphones to a backpack strap!
7. Save space by stuffing socks into the toes of your shoes. This will also prevent your shoes from getting crushed.
8. Avoid reaching into your toiletry bag and getting nicked by your razor by covering the blade with a binder clip.
9. Partial to your own soap, but don’t have a travel soap dish? Create a makeshift soap pouch by folding a new bar of soap inside a washcloth.
10. Protect your clothing from the bottom of your shoes by wrapping shoes in a plastic bag or a shower cap.
11. Organize hair clips or other small accessories in empty Tic Tac containers.
12. If you’re on a work trip, it’s important to keep your dress shirts looking crisp. Roll up a belt and use it as a collar “mold.”
13. Instead of buying water at the airport, which can get pricey, bring an empty water bottle and fill it at a water fountain once you pass through security.
14. When reserving two seats on the plane, reserve the window and aisle seats. If nobody sits in the center seat, you and your travel companion have an entire row to yourself. If someone does book the center seat, they’ll likely be happy to switch with you so you can sit next to your partner.
15. Forgot your wall plug at home? Use the USB port on the hotel room’s TV to charge your device.
16. Can’t find the WiFi password to the cafe you’re hanging out at or cheap hotels in Washington DC? Check comments on FourSquare. Travelers tend to leave tips and tricks for other travelers.
17. On long flights, treat your skin to thick nighttime moisturizer. It’s super hydrating, which is good news when traveling in a dry flight cabin, and there’ll be plenty of time for it to sink in before you land.
18. Get an all-in-one makeup product that will work as eyeshadow, lipstick, and blush. You’ll save a bunch of space in your luggage and you’ll make getting ready in the morning easier than normal.
19. Pack a thermos with lemon slices, honey, and a tea bag. On the plane, ask the flight attendant for hot water. You’ll have your own special drink for the flight.
Enjoy your trip without getting frustrated with travel mishaps, thanks to these tips!
This article was contributed by Fiona Moriarty of Hipmunk, a complete travel platform that allows you to do everything from comparing charter flights and train rides, to finding the best resort hotels and Airbnb rentals.