I call this a Mexican Chicken Stew Recipe because that’s how I like to eat it, right out of the slow cooker. But, my kids like it on tortilla chips and it’s also really good wrapped in a flour tortilla like a burrito or even a taco. This Mexican Chicken Stew Recipe is literally a layer and cook in the slow cooker meal.
Doesn’t that look just amazing?! This is such a versatile recipe and it holds up really well in the fridge for a few days so that you can use it as a base for a few different meals, or you can ladle some into Ziploc bags and store in the freezer for super easy pre-made single serve meals! As a newly single gal, yeah, I am learning lots of tricks for making homemade meals for one easier. Angeline still lives at home, but she’s almost 19 and never home!
Mexican Chicken Stew Recipe
- 6 boneless, skinless chicken thighs
- 1 can (15oz) corn, drained
- 1 can (15oz) black beans, drained & rinsed
- 1 can (10 oz) diced tomatoes with lime & cilantro, or any diced tomatoes you'd like
- 1 Tablespoon chili powder
- salt & pepper
- for serving:
- sour cream
- chopped fresh cilantro
- chopped avocado
- Place chicken thighs on the bottom of your slow cooker. Season with salt and pepper.
- Pour corn, black beans, tomatoes and chili power on top.
- Heat on high for 4 hours or low for 6-8.
- When this is finished cooking, the chicken falls apart with a fork. I mix and shred it with a fork and serve it with sour cream, fresh cilantro and chopped avocado.