Aside from travel, food is my thing. I think it’s mostly because each new bite takes you on a bit of an adventure. Can’t make it to Chicago for St. Patty’s Day and watch the river go green? The next best thing is to grab yourself a real Chi-Town hot dog and take a bite. A weekend trip to Vietnam not exactly in your budget? No worries, a steaming bowl of Pho can bring the taste of Vietnam right to you! When fond memories of walking down quiet Roman alleyways find me browsing through my travel photos, pining for vacation days past, I look to Italian food to make me feel like I am there again – without the steep airfare. My friend Ronni shared her grandma’s Italian Arancini (Fried Cheesy Rice Balls) with me recently and now they’re my quick go-to fix! Thanks to Minute® Rice for sponsoring this Cheesy Rice Balls Recipe post.
Italian Arancini Fried Cheesy Rice Balls Recipe
Typically, Cheesy Rice Balls are made from risotto. But with non-stop travel this month and a schedule so full that I’m running out of room on my daily agenda, I’m pulling out my Minute® Rice and calling it a legit substitute. It’s that time of year and I bet that most of you are dealing with the same holiday-madness that we are over here! That’s why pantry staples like Minute® Rice are so helpful! You can come up with so many quick and easy dinnertime recipes that your entire family will love. You can have great-tasting, fluffy white rice in just 5 minutes – could it be any easier?
This Cheesy Rice Balls Recipe, made with Minute® Rice, makes a perfect party appetizer as well as a great meal all on their own. The holiday parties are in full swing, that famous “Super” Football Sunday is fast approaching and sometimes, a girl just wants a taste of Italy.
Whatever the case is in your own home, I have ya covered with this super easy Cheesy Rice Balls recipe – and I guarantee you that the kids will love it!
Cheesy Rice Balls Recipe
- 2 Cups Cooked Minute® Rice White Rice
- ½ Cup Grated Parmesan Cheese
- 3 Eggs
- Cubed Mozzarella (I used ½ inch pieces of cut up string cheese)
- ½ Cup Italian Breadcrumbs
- ½ Cup Panko
- Oil (for frying)
- Marinara Sauce (for dipping)
- Pour enough oil to fill heavy-bottomed pot about 5 inches. Heat over medium flame until oil is *375.
- In large mixing bowl, combine the rice, Parmesan and 1 egg. Get in there and use your hands like grandma did to completely combine mixture. Grab enough mixture to form a cheesy rice ball about the size of a ping pong ball. Tuck a cube of mozzarella in the middle. The trick here is to squeeze it good and firm. If you don't you will end up with fried goop. No one wants that. Repeat until all mix is used. This should make about 8-10 cheesy rice balls.
- In shallow dish, mix Panko and breadcrumbs together. Set aside. In small bowl, whisk those last 2 eggs. Dip each rice ball in the eggs and then roll them in the Panko.
- Your oil should have reached *375 by now. Carefully slide 3 of the panko coated rice balls to the pot. Fry them until golden brown (about 2 minutes) Use a slotted spoon to remove from oil and place on paper towel lined plate. Toss on a pinch of salt. Continue to slide, fry, drain until all cheesy rice balls are fried.
Serve with warm marinara sauce. ENJOY!
See! How easy was that to grab a quick bite of Italy? Minute® Rice 100% Whole Grain Brown Rice is a yummy and nutritious option too. It has the same nutritional value as regular long cooking brown rice, but is ready in just 10 minutes. Both Minute® Brown and White Rice are gluten free, too. There’s also the new Minute® Multi-Grain Medley, which is a blend of four gluten-free foods and made with 100% whole grains, including long grain brown rice, Thai red rice, wild rice and quinoa. It also takes only 10 minutes to cook!
There are so many different things you can do with Minute® Rice! Between Minute® White Rice, Minute® Whole Grain Brown Rice, Minute ® Multi-Grain Medley and Minute® Ready to Serve Rice products, you can make everything from rice pudding to Aros Con Pollo (that’s Chicken and Rice for you non-Miami folk), to casseroles and easy side dishes, the possibilities are endless – and super quick – with Minute® Rice!
For over 400 great recipe ideas for any day of the week, check out all the Minute® Rice family of products!
This is a sponsored post written by me on behalf of Minute® Rice.