Right after Valentine’s Day, I headed straight to Walgreens to check out their candy sale, where I picked up a bag of Cherry M&Ms at 50% off! I wanted to do something special with these M&Ms, so I decided to switch up a classic recipe…thus this Cherry M&Ms Blondie Bars recipe I am sharing with you today!
I have made blondie bars a few times, and I have found that most recipes call for butterscotch chips or milk chocolate chips. I thought that substituting these Cherry M&Ms would be such a fun change, and these M&Ms Blondie Bars really turned out so cute and delicious!
I set aside a handful of the Cherry M&Ms and chopped them in my food processor so that I could sort of replicate the chocolate chips that would ordinarily be on top of the M&Ms blondie bars.
Cherry M&Ms Blondie Bars Recipe
- One and a half cups of brown sugar, firmly packed
- half a cup of melted butter
- 2 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1½ cups flour
- ½ teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ cup Cherry M&Ms + a handful of chopped M&Ms
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees and grease a 13 by 9 inch baking pan.
- In a large bowl, combine your brown sugar, butter, eggs and vanilla and beat at medium speed until they are well blended. In a separate bowl, combine your flour, baking powder and salt and whisky to blend them. Add the flour mixture to the brown sugar mixture and beat at low speed until thoroughly combined. Stir in half of the M&Ms but do not beat them, as you want them to remain intact.
- Pour into your greased pan and add the chopped Cherry M&Ms, then the remaining whole Cherry M&Ms and press lightly into the top of the batter so that they do not shake loose when you are cutting them later on.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 20 minutes. I like to test the doneness of my baked goods by inserting a toothpick into the center and see if it comes out clean. It should be moist but without any batter stuck to it.
It’s best to cut the M&Ms blondie bars after they have cooled for about 30 minutes, so that they don’t become too crumbly when cutting into them.