Oh brunch. Sweet, sweet brunch. I love it so much! But here’s the downside to brunch: I ran out of new brunch recipe ideas about 15 years ago. Pancakes, waffles, omelets and quiche…yup, that’s about it. Sure, we can make different kinds of pancakes, waffles and eggy dishes, but hello, variety is the spice of life! My pal Liz came up with this delicious Apple Pie Cinnamon Rolls Recipe for me to share with you all, don’t they look fantastic?
I love cinnamon rolls, and if Cinnabon was anywhere near my home, I would weigh approximately 1200 pounds. As much as I love cinnamon rolls, I also love apple pie. And duh, it’s fall!! What better way to celebrate fall on a lazy Sunday Funday than with a mixture of apple pie and cinnamon rolls? This Apple Pie Cinnamon Rolls Recipe is like a freshly baked apple pie in breakfast form. YUM!
Apple Pie Cinnamon Rolls Recipe
- For the dough:
- 1 package Active Dry Yeast (2¼ tsp)
- ½ cup water, lukewarm
- ½ cup + 2 tsp sugar
- ½ cup milk, lukewarm
- ⅓ cup butter, melted
- 1 egg, room temperature
- 2 tsp salt
- 4 cups all-purpose flour
- For the Apple Pie Cinnamon Rolls Recipe filling
- 5-6 Medium Apples, peeled and chopped
- 2 Ttbsp Lemon Juice
- ½ cup Brown Sugar
- ½ cup Sugar
- ¼ cup Cornstarch
- 1 tsp Cinnamon
- ½ tsp Nutmeg
- 2 cups Water
- 4 tbsp Butter, softened
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 2 tbsp ground cinnamon
- Now, this is kind of a long...looong process, what with waiting for yeast to rise and all. But it is totally worth it! If you love store-bought cinnamon rolls, you are going to flip over how incredible this Apple Pie Cinnamon Rolls Recipe tastes!
- In a small bowl, stir together the yeast, water and 2 tsp sugar and let it sit until it foams up, about 10 minutes.
- In a large mixing bowl add the milk, melted butter, egg, sugar, and salt and mix until well combined. Add about half of the flour and mix until smooth then mix in the yeast mixture. Slowly add the remaining flour until combined, if using a mixer you will have to switch to using your hands or a wooden spoon.
- Remove the dough to a lightly floured surface and knead for about 5 minutes. Put dough into a greased bowl, cover with a tea towel, and set aside to allow the dough to rise, about 2 hours.
- Meanwhile toss the apples in a large bowl with lemon juice to keep them from browning and set aside. This will ensure that your Apple Pie Cinnamon Rolls recipe are perky and fresh-looking! Pour cornstarch into a large saucepan and slowly whisk in water to prevent the cornstarch from getting lumpy. Mix in the sugars, cinnamon, nutmeg, and a pinch of salt and bring mixture to a boil over medium-high heat. Allow to come to a hard boil, stirring constantly for 2 minutes. Add the apples and bring back to a boil then reduce the heat to medium low and simmer for 15 minutes or until apples soften to the desired texture. Remove from heat and set aside.
- When dough has risen punch the dough down and remove from the bowl. Roll the dough out on a well-floured surface into roughly a 16x24 inch rectangle Spread the softened butter over the dough.
- Mix the brown sugar with the cinnamon and sprinkle evenly across the butter. Spread the apple mixture over top of the the brown sugar. Roll into a log, starting lengthwise; the log should end up approximately 24 inches long. Slice evenly to create the seperate rolls.
- Line a 9x13 baking pan with parchment paper and place the cinnamon rolls in the pan, making sure they are not touching. Cover with a clean dish towel and allow the dough to double again, about 2 hours.
- Preheat the oven to 375. Bake the rolls for about 22-25 minutes....and voila! Your Apple Pie Cinnamon Rolls are ready, ooey and gooey, just in time for brunch!
Are you hungry yet? Because I’m STARVING!