I’ts almost St. Patrick’s Day, and you know what that means…GREEN ALL THE THINGS! This pretty St. Patrick’s Day Mini Ombre Cakes Recipe is a fun way to brighten up your St. Patrick’s Day meal and bring a little sweetness into the holiday! St. Patrick’s Day isn’t all about green beer, you know!
Aren’t these just adorable? I love the gradual shift in color, and if you want to make them extra festive, you can always add little Shamrock confetti to the top instead of green sprinkles!
St. Patrick’s Day Mini Ombre Cakes Recipe
- 1 box white cake mix (plus oil, water and egg to make cake)
- green food coloring
- 2 cups (16 ounces) heavy whipping cream
- ¼ cup powdered sugar
- green candy melts
- green and white sprinkles
- Place wax paper on a flat surface or cutting board.
- In a microwave safe bowl, melt green candy melts on 30 second intervals, stirring in between, until melted. Place into a ziplock bag and cut the tip. Pipe a shamrock shape onto the wax paper and let set until dry.
- Line a square baking pan with parchment paper (on the sides and bottom) and grease with cooking spray. Set aside.
- Following the directions on the box, make your cake mix. Divide the mix into thirds and tint each a different color green. Pour one bowl of mix into the prepared square baking pan and bake 13-15 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Let set for about two minutes, and remove from pan and cool completely on a wire rack (just pull the paper and all out of the pan).
- Line the pan again with parchment paper and grease. Pour the second batch of batter into the pan and bake. Repeat until the third cake is done. Cool all cakes completely.
- When ready to assemble, cut each cake into 9 squares and cut each square in half. Use a small serrated knife for best results.
- Place whipping cream and powdered sugar in a mixer and whisk until stiff peaks form, about 3-5 minutes. Pipe mix into a piping bag or use a spoon to add to cakes.
- To assemble: Place one piece of cake onto a plate, top with a dollop of cream, and repeat until you have three layers and three dollops of whipping cream. Top with sprinkles and a candy shamrock.
This St. Patrick’s Day Mini Ombre Cakes Recipe makes 18 mini cakes – just enough to go around for a Saturday afternoon with friends!
Make ahead and assemble before serving. Keep cake in an airtight container and cream in the refrigerator.
Use a portion scoop to accurately divide the cake batter.
Other options since this does not look ombre. You could bake this in an 9×13 according to the box directions, and then cut that into squares and cut those squares in half. Then you’d have one color green.