I just returned from a road trip to Orlando with two kids under the age of 14 -sans husband. As you can imagine, I listened to plenty of music to keep myself entertained while the kids busied themselves with the DS systems and smart phones in the backseat...
There were a few songs that while I was singing along, I had one of those OH CRAP moments and had to mute the stereo. It gave me an idea for a post about songs that I should NOT listen to when my 13 year old daughter and 11 year old niece are in the car with me!
Top Ten Songs You Should NOT Listen to With Children in The Car:
1. Smack My Bitch Up, by Prodigy. I think you can see right off the bat why this is not child-appropriate.
2. Detachable Penis, by King Missile. Funny, yes. Entertaining, yes. A good song choice for children to listen to? Nope.
3. Touch Myself, by Samantha Fox. As soon as my niece asked my daughter, "what is she talking about?" I fast forwarded to the next song. Lesson learned.
4. All I Want To Do is Make Love to You, by Heart. Yes, this song is awesome...I love me some old school rock power ballads. What I don't love is the looks my daughter was giving me in the rear view mirror.
5. Self Esteem, by The Offspring. I didn't really think anything of this song, I mean, it's been around forever and I know I must have listened to it a thousand times with my daughter in the car over the years. Something clicked when I heard her singing along, "drunk again and looking to score." Um, where is that fast forward button again? As she is entering her teenage years, sexual references are becoming a bit more of a touchy subject!
6. Rape Me, by Nirvana. Are you noticing a theme here? I listen to A LOT of old rock...what can I say, I like what I like. As soon as the opening chord played, I changed the selection...sometimes something is so wrong you don't even have to think about it!
7. Basket Case, by Greenday. Yeah...talk of sex, whores and mental illnesses aren't really child appropriate.
8. Thrash Unreal, by Against Me! Now, this happens to be one of my favorite songs from the past few years. My daughter also loves it, it has fantastic guitar riffs and a very melodic chorus. So what's wrong with it? Hello, it's all about a junkie. Not a very positive message for my baby as she enters these impressionable teenage years!
9. Blah, Blah, Blah, by Ke$ha. Shocker, I know. The funny thing about this being on my playlist is that my daughter actually introduced me to Ke$sha and now I have to forbid her from listening to this song. I mean, really? "Don't be a little bitch with your chit chat, just show me where your dick's at!" - That's not cool, Ke$ha. You know kids listen to your music.
10. Pop That Coochie, by 2 Live Crue. Yeah, I'm a Miami girl, of course I have 2 Live Crue in my iPhone playlist. Needless to say, I just unplugged my iPhone and turned on the radio after that...