Easter is officially just a month away! You know what that means, don’t you? It’s time to dig our Easter Eggs out of storage, stock up on pretty Easter candy, dust off the adorable bunny decorations and get cookin’! This Easter Muddy Buddies Mix Recipe takes a bit longer to make than your ordinary Chex Mix, because it involves several colors. But it’s totally worth it, because the different colors make it so pretty, it’s just perfect for filling an Easter basket!
This is also a fun treat to make with the kids! Let them shake the bags or sprinkle the powdered sugar over the candy-coated mix – they’ll love getting involved in making their own sweet treat and cooking together is such a fun bonding activity!
Easter Muddy Buddies Mix Recipe
- ½ bag pink Wilton Candy Melts
- ½ bag purple Wilton Candy Melts
- ½ bag blue Wilton Candy Melts
- (3 – one for each color candy melt) ¼ teaspoon shortening (like Crisco)
- 6 cups Chex Rice Cereal
- 3 cups confectioner sugar (more or less depending on your desired result)
- Divide your Wilton candy melts into three different microwave safe bowls.
- Heat for 45 seconds, then stir, put back into the microwave and heat an additional 30 seconds. Remove and stir, then heat again for 30 seconds.
- Add ¼ teaspoon shortening and stir – this helps liquefy the candy melts and makes it easier to coat the rice cereal without getting too thick and bumpy.
- Repeat this process with each color.
- In a gallon sized Ziploc bag, pour 2 cups Chex Rice Cereal and coat with one bowl of the melted candy melts. Repeat this process with two more Ziploc bags with the remaining colors. Gently shake the bag, rolling slowly, to completely coat the Rice Cereal with the melted candy melts. Repeat with each color.
- Line a cookie sheet with waxed paper and empty one bag of rice cereal mixture on a cookie sheet. Spread the cereal mixture out as flat as possible.
- Using a sifter, sift confectioner sugar over the top of the rice cereal mixture, evenly coating the entire mixture. Pick up the waxed paper by the edges and gently roll the mixture around so that the confectioner sugar completely coats the warm candy. Repeat this process as much as you need to get the desired coating.
- Place the waxed paper in the fridge for about five minutes to harden. Repeat this process with the remaining two colors of melted Wilton candy melts.
Note: you can also sprinkle the candy-coated rice cereal with sprinkled or colored sugar before coating in confectioner sugar for extra effect!
Do you have a favorite treat that you like to make for Easter? I’d love to hear about it!