If you live in South Florida, or any part of Hurricane Alley, then you know what to expect between June 1 and November 1.
Ruined weekends. Wind. Rain. Flooding. Tropical Depressions. Tropical Storms. Hurricanes.
This morning I received a phone call from my husband and I knew it wouldn't be good when he began with, "Did you get my email?"
See, I don't watch the news. EVER. About five years ago, I got so fed up with all of the rape, murder, theft and child abuse on our local news that I stopped watching. Completely. I don't even know what time the news is on or what channels it is on...because I've avoided it for so long.
I used to get all of my news from my friends at work.
Now I get all of my news from Twitter. Seriously, I knew Osama Bin Laden was dead before anyone else in my friends or family circle because it was tweeted around midnight and everyone else was already asleep. ha ha ha
So this morning, my husband called to tell me that they were predicting that Irene was headed our way and was predicted to be a category three hurricane when it sweeps past Miami. It WAS predicted to actually hit Miami...guess what else was predicted to pass Miami by but at the last minute, hit us full force and changed our lives forever? Hurricane Andrew. You can read about my Andrew experience here.
I headed out to round up our supplies after taking a look at the radar...
As you can see, the probability of tropical storm force winds are at 60/50% for my area...and that's if Irene doesn't shift West.
I've stocked up on the basic Hurricane Supplies. Every South Florida homeowner knows this list by heart...
- bottled water - and plenty of it
- toilet paper & paper towels
- ICE ICE BABY - when the power goes, you can keep food cold in your freezer if it's full of ice for at least 3 days
- non-perishable snacks (pb&j crackers, chips, Little Debbies)
- non-perishable foods like peanut butter, jelly, bread, etc
- flashlights, batteries and emergency candles, matches and lighters
- paper plates, cups and plastic utensils
- garbage bags - for cleaning up your yard/house after the storm