I’m always looking for ways to incorporate more natural foods into my diet, but there are certain things that this junk food loving girl just can’t live without. Like…DONUTS. Instead of going crazy trying all of the brands at Whole Foods, I decided to buy a donut pan and try making my own donuts at home.
This homemade cake donuts recipe is probably the easiest and tastiest that I was able to come up with after trying a few on AllRecipes.com. The donuts are light and fluffy, with a tiny hint of cinnamon, and they are totally great just on their own as a quick grab-and-go breakfast.
I also played around with frosting them with chocolate frosting to make them more fun for Angeline.
Hen House Linens just sent me a little package of cloth napkins for the fall so I’m practicing using them in my food photography to switch things up a bit. Aren’t they pretty? Go check out their website, they have beautiful table accessories for the fall!
Homemade Cake Donut Recipe
Simple Homemade Cake Donuts Recipe
- 2 cups cake flour
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/4 ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup milk
- 2 eggs lightly beaten
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon melted butter
- Preheat your oven to 325 degrees and spray a donut plan with nonstick spray. I used Baker's Joy but you could also use Pam.
- Combine all of your ingredients together in a large bowl and beat together until well blended.
- Fill each donut hole in the pan 3/4 of the way full and bake for 10 minutes. Allow to cool for a few minutes and then invert on a cooling rack.
For the chocolate frosting, you can totally do a quick and easy frosting using regular old cake frosting or make a frosting from scratch. I opted to melt 1/4 cup of chocolate candy melts and mixed it with about a tablespoon of heavy whipping cream to thin it out. It made the perfect easy frosting and hardened nicely on top of the donuts!