Happy 4th of July!!
While you’re reading this, I am probably halfway through my 14 hour journey home to Miami from North Carolina. Yup, that’s right, we are getting home right in time for dinner and fireworks for the 4th of July!
I don’t know about you, but when I think 4th of July, I think of cheeseburgers on the grill!
Well, really, anytime during summer makes me think of cheeseburgers on the grill! It’s one of my favorite things to cook during the summer because it’s so easy to cook on the grill, and everyone loves a juicy burger with cheese melted just perfectly…
Perfect for summer grilling season – that’s a thing, right? It is in Miami! – Sargento is running a really fun “America’s Ultimate Cheeseburger” contest on Facebook. Sargento asked chefs in Milwaukee, Chicago, Miami, San Diego and New York to create a cheeseburger featuring Sargento Natural Sliced Cheeses to showcase their city or state’s famous culinary flair!
Now, of course I voted for The Filling Station – hello, I am a proud Miami girl, I have to show the Miami participant some love! But also, their recipe looks really, really good and I can’t wait to try it at home!
The Filling Station’s Recipe for “The Filling Station Cheeseburger”
The Filling Station Cheeseburger
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 10 minutes
• 8 oz. ground chuck
• Salt & pepper to taste
• Garlic powder
• Onion powder
• 1 fresh kaiser roll
• 3 slices of peppered bacon
• 4 slices of Sargento® Natural BlendsTM Deli Style Sliced Colby-Pepper Jack Cheese
• 1 medium sized egg
Balsamic Caramelized Onions:
• 1/2 red onion, thinly sliced
• 1/2 Tbsp. butter
• Pinch salt
• Pinch pepper
• 1 Tbsp. balsamic vinegar
Garlicky Mustardy Mayonnaise:
• 1 Tbsp. mayonnaise
• 1 tsp. fresh minced garlic
• 1 tsp. spicy mustard
• Shape beef into pattie.
• Prepare Balsamic Caramelized Onion. Season pattie with salt, pepper, garlic powder and onion powder.
• Sauté onion in a nonstick pan with butter, salt and pepper. When the onion is cooked soft add vinegar and stir until absorbed. Remove onions to bowl and wipe pan clean.
• Place bacon on baking sheet, sprinkle lightly with cracked black pepper and bake according to package instructions. Prepare Garlicky Mustardy Mayonnaise by mixing mayonnaise with garlic and mustard.
• Place burger patties on grill and cook to desired doneness. Top with cheese and cover until cheese is fully melted. While the burger is cooking, cook the egg over easy in a skillet and sprinkle with salt and pepper.
• Place burger with cheese on bun. Top with peppered bacon, onions and egg. Spread the Garlicky Mustardy Mayonnaise on top of the bun. Double Bacon Cheeseburger.
I think that we can all agree that cheeseburgers are the perfect summer food. Not only are there a ton of ways to prepare them, but it is one of the only foods that everyone likes – from adults, to party guests, to picky children!
Why don’t you vote for your favorite burger? You can also submit your own cheeseburger idea on the America’s Ultimate Cheeseburger Facebook app, here, for a chance to be featured on Sargento’s Facebook wall!
While I received compensation from Sargento Foods Inc. and The Motherhood as part of my participation in this campaign, all opinions are my own.