I am being compensated by DOLE® Fruit in Jars for my participation in this campaign, but all opinions are my own.
With summer in full swing...and an eight day Caribbean cruise right around the corner...I've been trying extra hard to eat healthier and get in as much exercise as I can. I did pretty well while in Napa Valley last week, taking along healthy meal replacement bars and trying to avoid desserts as much as possible. Granted, it was Napa Valley, and wine isn't exactly calorie free, but I did manage to drink a ton of water and I did a lot of walking the entire time I was there.
Being that it was Napa Valley, some of that walking was uphill. Or up a mountain...Moon Mountain, to be exact!
My appetite was totally thrown off when I got home to Miami. I know it's only a three hour time difference, but it really had an effect on my appetite. I went from eating breakfast, lunch and dinner each day on West Coast time to coming home and being starving at the weirdest of times. For instance: midnight. Back in Napa, I was eating dinner around 9, which means that when I am making dinner for Chris and Angeline, I am not hungry, but after everyone goes to bed and I am trying to recover from jetlag, I am starving! I've found that it's much healthier to grab a healthy yogurt and fruit bowl for my late night snacking, and the new DOLE® Fruit in Jars works just perfectly!
DOLE® Fruit in Jars come in Mandarin Oranges, Pineapple Chunks, Tropical Fruit, Sliced Peaches and Mixed Fruit. Our local grocery store only stocked the Mandarin Oranges, Pineapple Chunks and Sliced Peaches, which suited me just fine because those are my favorites! You can find out which varieties are available in your local stores here.
Now, I do love fresh fruit BUT I always seem to buy more than we are really going to eat, and there ends up being wasted, overripe fruit constantly on the counter. These Dole Fruit in Jars work so well for my family because they come in a resealable lid, so we can just scoop out as much as we want and then stick them back in the fridge! All of the fruit is picked at the peak of ripeness, so it's just like grabbing a fresh peach out of the fruit bowl - only these peaches are already sliced for you and there's no sticker to peel off the outside.
Don't ask, I may or may not have eaten a few stickers in my day.
Each jar has five full servings of fruit and comes packed in 100% fruit juice. I like to avoid added sugars when I can, so I love that these are packed in juice and not syrup!
Oh, and guess what? Dole Fruit in Jars is non-GMO. I don't know how important that is to all of you, but I like to buy non-GMO whenever I can, and I love that I can get a jar full of non-GMO fruit, packed in juice instead of syrup, for just about $2.99 a jar. That's about as inexpensive as it gets for wholesome food!
5 Days of Summertime Food and Fitness
- Monday: Get Your Heart Racing! Start your week off with a bang and get your heartbeat up! Go for a jog, hit the elliptical with all you've got - do whatever you normally do, but kick it up a notch!
- Tuesday: Concentrate on building muscle. While Chris goes to the gym for weight training, I prefer to work out at home. I've just never been comfortable at the gym. I have a set of 10 lb weights and it suits me just fine! You can even find videos on YouTube for easy to follow weight training routines.
- Wednesday: Get Your Fruit on! You can't rely solely on exercise to get in shape. You also need to eat a well-balanced diet rich in protein, fruits and veggies! I love grabbing a non-fat Greek Yogurt and topping it with some sliced peaches and a little honey for sweetness. Hint hint: Dole Fruit in Jars has five servings of peaches in each jar!
- Thursday: Go Outside! Head to the park and take a nature walk, or take the dogs for a run at the local dog park. It's a great way to get outside and enjoy the summer weather and get a little old fashioned exercise too!
- Friday: Reward Yourself! After a long week of eating right and exercising, reward yourself! Set aside a few hours to relax and read a book, catch up on your favorite TV show, go to the beach with friends or the family - do whatever it is that makes you happy!
You can learn more about Dole Fruit in Jars on DOLE.com. Don't forget to like the Dole Facebook Page, and follow Dole on Pinterest and @Dole on Twitter too!