If the need to travel has become overwhelming, but your budget is a little unwilling, there is no need to give up and stay home. You can travel around the UK on a budget, a really tight budget, and still, enjoy some of the most fantastic sites and attractions that the UK has to offer.
Start your quest with purchasing a decent used car from a company like Autovolo. You will want the luxury of having a good working car instead of relying on trains and buses and planes. Not only does driving through the UK give you additional freedom that mass transit does not, but it also gives you the opportunity to “stop and smell the flowers” wherever you desire.
Once your bags are packed and the car is filled with petrol, it is time to hit the road. Travelling through the UK should start with the capital city, London.
- London. Join a free walking tour of London and see the iconic sites. Buckingham Palace, Big Ben, and Parliament are all included in this tour. The tour ends at Trafalgar Square where you can depart without paying anything. However, if you enjoyed the tour, you are encouraged to give a tip to the tour guide for their services.
- Manchester. Manchester Park is a magnificent place to spend the day. There are always free activities going on at the park, and it is the perfect place to have a picnic and people watch.
- Liverpool. This is a must for any Beetles fan. Visit Penny Lane and look for all the places mentioned in the song. Walk across the famous crosswalk. Or just take your picture outside the recording studio.
- Cardiff. The Cardiff Visitors Centre may not seem like a “hot spot” to go, but it is actually a quite fascinating experience. What is even more amazing is that it is absolutely free.
- Glasgow – Visit the Gallery of Modern Art. You can experience many different types of art, all of which are thought-provoking. Artists from around the world are featured.
- Belfast. Belfast Castle is a must for any history buff. You can visit the second-floor visitor centre that has a magnificent amount of information about the castle and the surrounding area. The best part of the second floor, however, is the views. They are absolutely breathtaking.
- York. Back to York if you are a history buff. Here you can walk the most intact and amazing medieval walls left in the UK. York is also home to many amazing historical sites, most of which are free to enjoy.
You can really enjoy the UK with a small budget if you take your time and make some plans for your trip. Fill the boot with a cooler and some snacks so you can save on eating out, and then drive until you find the right place to stop for the night. Of course, look for the hostels that offer discounted sleeping areas for travellers instead of the more pricey hotels.
Leave a Reply