Guess what I received in the mail?
It's the anniversary edition of E.T. The Extra-Terrestrial on Blu-ray!!
This is a digitally remastered 30th anniversary edition Blu-ray Combo Pack, DVD, Digital Copy & UltraViolet - and while it's going to be released in stores on October 9, 2012, I received mine this week! This is the first time E.T. The Extra-Terrestrial has ever been available on Blu-ray, so I feel extra special having received a copy a little early!
I tell you, there are some fabulous perks to spending all of this time blogging!
E.T. The Extra-Terrestrial Anniversary Edition
Have you never seen E.T.?
WHAT?! It was one of my favorite movies growing up, with a story so sweet and simple, yet heartwarming at the same time!
Here's a quick synopsis:
When an imaginative boy meets a lost alien, it is the beginning of one of cinema’s most endearing friendships, as Elliot (Henry Thomas) helps the marvelous creature he calls E.T. find his way back home before government agents can capture him.
E.T. The Extra-Terrestrial was one of those films that kids loved for the adventure and parents loved for the sentiment.
E.T. shows up and Elliot takes him into his home and hides him from his mom and brother and sister - though his brother and sister end up finding him and help keep E.T. a secret from mom. This is the movie that catapulted Drew Barrymore to stardom - everyone loved her with E.T.!
The longer E.T. stays on earth, the more it affects him. He wants to go home and conveys that message to Elliot, and they devise a plan to help E.T. get back home. Things don't always go as planned, as we all know, and the FEDS get involved - and Elliot and E.T. both almost die! I always cry during this part of the movie, even though I know it has a happy ending.
What's that happy ending?
Well, you will have to watch the movie and see for yourself!
You can follow along as the world welcomes the arrival of the E.T. Extra-Terrestrial Anniversary Edition on Blu-ray in early October by liking the E.T. Movie Facebook page, Following @UniversalEnt on Twitter with the hashtag #ETPhoneHome and there's even an E.T. Pinterest page!
E.T. The Extra-Terrestrial, Academy Award-winning director Steven Spielberg’s magical adventure, celebrates its 30th Anniversary with its first-ever release on Blu-ray October 9, 2012. Featuring an all-new, digitally remastered picture that delivers six times the resolution of DVD, as well as all-new 7.1 surround sound, the E.T. The Extra-Terrestrial Anniversary Edition Blu-ray Combo Pack includes the 1982 theatrical movie, an all-new interview with director Steven Spielberg, and “The E.T. Journals” featuring never-before-seen footage from the set of the film. The Blu-ray Combo Pack also includes UltraViolet, a DVD and a Digital Copy of the film, offering fans a chance to relive the mystery, laughter and wonder of the iconic movie anytime, anywhere on the platform of their choice.
In 1982, E.T. The Extra-Terrestrial became the biggest blockbuster of the year, ranking #1 over 16 different weekends. Even today, E.T. The Extra-Terrestrial remains the fourth most successful movie of all-time in the United States. Every child in the 80's remembers that famous E.T. line..."E.T. phone home!"
Want to make your own super cool snacks, inspired by E.T.'s favorite candy? Check these fun recipe activities out! I think that they'll be perfect for eating while you're watching the movie!
- The E.T. Journals: In this all-new bonus feature, retrace the day-to-day experience of creating E.T from never-before-seen, behind-the-scenes footage shot by Academy Award-winning cinematographer John Toll. This piece will give viewers a unique feeling of being on the set and living the excitement of what it was like to make E.T.
- Steven Spielberg & E.T.: Watch an all-new interview with Steven Spielberg, as he reflects back on the film and discusses his experience working with the actors, as well as his overall and current perspective on E.T.
- Deleted Scenes: Two scenes from 2002 version of the film.
- A Look Back: A special insider’s look into the making of E.T. featuring interviews with Steven Spielberg, the cast, and others intimately involved with the film.
- The E.T. Reunion: The cast and filmmaker reunite to discuss their thoughts on the impact of the film.
- The Evolution and Creation of E.T.: From idea to screenplay, through casting and making the film.
- The Music of E.T.: A Discussion with John Williams: Interviews and footage focused on the long-standing relationship between John Williams and Steven Spielberg.
- The 20th Anniversary Premiere: Composer John Williams played the score of E.T. live at the Shrine Auditorium for the re-release premiere of E.T. This featurette gives us a behind the scenes look at this presentation.
- Original Theatrical Trailer
- Special Olympics TV spot
- Designs, Photographs and Marketing
UltraViolet™: The revolutionary new way for consumers to collect movies and TV shows, store them in the cloud, and instantly stream and download to computers, tablets and smartphones. Consumers can now truly enjoy their movies anytime, anywhere on the platform of their choice. Currently available in the United States only.
Digital Copy: The Blu-ray™ Combo Pack includes a digital copy of the film compatible with iTunes®, iPad®, iPhone®, iPod™, iPod™ touch, Android or online retail partners.
pocket BLU™ App: The popular free pocket BLU™ app for smartphones is now even better with newly updated versions for iPad®, Android™ tablets, PC and Macintosh computers, with features made especially to take advantage of thedevices’ larger screens and high resolution displays.
- Advanced Remote Control: A sleek, elegant new way to operate your Blu-ray™ player. Users can navigate through menus, playback and BD-Live™ functions with ease.
- Video Timeline: Users can easily bring up the video timeline, allowing them to instantly access any point in the film.
- Mobile-To-Go: Users can unlock a selection of bonus content with their Blu-ray™ discs to save to their device or to stream from anywhere there is a Wi-Fi network, enabling them to enjoy content on the go, anytime, anywhere.
- Browse Titles: Users will have access to a complete list of pocket BLU™-enabled titles available and coming to Blu-ray™. They can view free previews and see what additional content is available to unlock on their device.
- Keyboard: Entering data is fast and easy with your device’s intuitive keyboard.
BD-LIVE™: Access the BD-Live™ Center through your Internet-connected player to access the latest trailers, exclusive content and more!
Bonus Features of the DVD
- Steven Spielberg & E.T.
- Deleted Scenes
- A Look Back
- The E.T. Reunion
So, what is E.T. The Green Planet?
Universal is partnering with leading independent games publisher Chillingo to publish E.T.: The Green Planet for the iTunes App Store. Inspired by a novel based on a story by Steven Spielberg, players can travel with E.T. to his home planet, and then explore and build extraordinary intergalactic botanical gardens, and share their experiences with friends.
I have to warn you, once your children watch E.T. The Extra-Terrestrial on Blu-ray or DVD, they are going to become obsessed.
Best to download these free activity sheets now so that you can provide them with more E.T. fun once the movie is over!
I received a complimentary copy of E.T. The Extra-Terrestrial on Blu-ray combo pack for sharing this post. All opinions are my own. I'd also like to say a big thank you to Universal Studios for the photos for this post!