I have lived in Miami, Florida for almost my entire life – I was born here, and after moving around a bit while my dad was in the army, returned when I was about 6 years old.
In every home in my neighborhood, we share something in common…
We all keep a storm survival kit somewhere in our house. Why? Oh, I don’t know, Hurricanes maybe? Tropical Storms? Tropical Depressions? A rainy season that lasts the entire month of April, sometimes May, and often results in loss of power? Yes, yes and yes.
What are in those kits? The contents vary by household, but FEMA recommends the following:
- Water: each person should have a supply of one gallon of water per day for three days (for cooking, sanitation & drinking)
- Nonperishable food and a manual can opener
- Antibacterial Hand Wipes for when soap and water are not available.
- One change of clothing and footwear per person; toys and books for children
- One blanket or sleeping bag per person
- A first aid kit, including necessary prescription medications and eyeglasses
- Pictures of family members and pets, in the event of separation
- Pet care items
- Extra set of car keys
- Vehicle fuel tanks filled
- Credit card or cash
- Special items for infant, elderly or disabled family members
I was recently given the opportunity to review the Energizer® Weatheready® light, featuring long-lasting LED technology. My husband was excited when I told him it was LED – he loves all things LED.
In my home, we prefer to use flashlights over candles because a) they are safer b) they provide more light and c) our cats usually knock candles over. According to the National Fire Protection Association, more than 15,000 fires are caused each year by candles, and the risk of a fatal candle fire is greatest when the candles are used as a light source.
Energizer® Weatheready lights come from an extensive flashlight line that is designed to provide longer run times so that families like mine aren’t left in the dark when the power goes out. It’s a little flashlight, but it actually lights up a large space. We haven’t lost power since I received it, but I have used it to light up under the bed or in the shed a few times! I love that it’s rechargeable – not only will it last a long time, but I leave it on the charger and I always know where it is!
Energizer® Compact Rechargeable LED Light
- Bright Nichia LED delivers ~ 14 lumens
- Turns on when the power goes out
- 2 Mode slide switch – High & Low
- Runtime 2+ hours on high and 15 hours on low
- Recharges hundreds of times
- Rechargeable NiMH battery
- Lifetime guarantee
Do you want to win one of these cool Energizer Weatheready Compact Rechargeable LED Lights? Great! Because I am going to pick one lucky ready to win one!