I participated in a campaign on behalf of Mom Central Consulting for Green Works. I received a product sample to facilitate my review and promotional item as a thank you for participating.
As Kermit the Frog once said, "It's Not Easy Being Green."
Or is it? Like many Generation Xers, I've become increasingly concerned with living a greener lifestyle as I've gotten older. While some of the biggest ways to live a greener lifestyle might not be affordable for many - like buying a hybrid car or replacing your electric system with solar powered energy - there are so many small ways that we can all be greener and make a positive impact on our environment.
5 Eco-Friendly Tips for Being Green
- Recycle! Most neighborhoods have a recycling program. It's easier than you think to participate! Just keep a separate trash can - or even a plastic bag in the kitchen - and make sure that the entire family discards recyclable cans, glass bottles and plastic containers there for easy transport to the recycle bin.
- Reduce and Reuse! Instead of buying several of the same grocery item, how about buying a larger size? You not only cut down on waste, but you can save money when buying in bulk! When you're done with glass jars, wash them and use them in DIY projects. Using glass jars to homemade gifts (like cookies-in-a-jar and homemade bath scrubs) are a great way to keep them out of landfills and stretch your gift-giving dollar. Instead of throwing out old clothes and household items, donate them to charity or list them on a site like FreeCycle so that others can make use of them - and again, you keep needless trash out of the landfills! Also, try to reduce your plastic consumption and replace them with reusable alternatives.
- Buy energy-efficient appliances and electronics! When your fridge breaks down, instead of buying the most power-hungry model on the market, look for one with the ENERGY STAR seal. You'll not only use less energy but you'll save money on your power bill as well! Also? Turn off the lights! Turn off the lights when you leave a room and unplug electronic devices when not in use. Our microwave is never plugged in unless we're using it, and I unplug our computers and cell phone charges when we aren't using them. These are all energy-drainers and keeping them unplugged saves energy and money!
- Grow your own veggies and herbs! In a perfect world, we'd all have our own gardens and avoid harmful pesticides in our produce. For most, that's just not doable. But anyone can have a windowsill herb garden, or a small tomato plant on their front porch. Even taking small steps like this can have a big impact!
- Use natural cleaners around the home! Using products like Green Works Natural All-Purpose Cleaner helps keep toxins out of your home and out of our water system. You can still have a clean, fresh-smelling home without all of those nasty chemicals!
About Green Works Natural All-Purpose Cleaner
Green Works Naturally Derived All-Purpose Cleaner cuts through grease, grime and dirt without all of those harsh chemical fumes and residues. Green Works All-Purpose Cleaner is safe to use on multiple surfaces throughout the kitchen and bathroom, including counters, appliances, stainless steel, sealed granite, chrome, cooktop hoods, sinks and toilets. Green Works All-Purpose Cleaner is available in a 32-oz. bottle in both original and tangerine scents and retails for about $3.49.
Right now, there is a super fun promotion happening on the Green Works Pinterest page! You can create your own Green Works Games pinboard for a chance to win a $500 gift card!
How to Play Green Works Interactive Pinterest Games
Follow @greenworksclean on Pinterest and create a pinboard with the title “GreenWorks Games.”
Find, unscramble or complete a word and then find an image to match. For example, if the word is “natural” you might pin a lemon, flower, or whatever represents natural to you. Pin your answer and make sure to tag it with the word it represents and the hashtag #greenworksgames. You can find all of the details here.
Good luck and happy pinning!
We're trying to be more green at home but it's hard to get everyone on board
Thank you! It ended up being great and thus easy for making.
Those are great tips! I love Green Works.
I love Green Works! They always have the best tips.
Great reminders .... we tried to grow our own herbs and veggies this year but the Texas heat just killed them! 🙁
I love Green Works. 🙂
my next goal if energy efficient appliances
Those are some excellent tips! Thanks for sharing!
We recycle and I am starting to switch over to more eco-friendly cleaners in our home! Plus we changed out all our lightbulbs and switching to eco-friendly items for tv, and such.