Hey Y’all! I am Joy, the creator of Joyful Musings. I am a wife to my wonderful husband, Troy and we are parents to two beautiful and witty boys, Trever & Tyler. We live in Jacksonville, FL in a neighborhood full of brilliant oak trees nestled near the St. Johns River. We are a short drive from the Atlantic Ocean. I am a work at home mom who juggles many working hats. I specialize in real estate bookkeeping. I am an avid crafter, sewer and lover of all things social media.
* * *
My name is Joy, from Joyful Musings and I am a pinterest addict. Whew that feels better now that I have admitted it. It is relaxing for me to scroll through pages of receipes, fashion, quotes and crafts. I love pinning them onto my boards and collecting multiple projects to complete.
Here is the drab sweater. Each time I put it on to wear it, I end up hanging it back up. Its is too long, almost hitting the middle of my thigh. It does not fit my wardrobe any more.
Here are the step by step directions to turn your old sweater into a fashionable cardigan.
1. If needed, remove the unneeded length of the sweater. I removed 5 inches.
2. Find the center of the collar. Cut from the center of the collar to the bottom of the sweater. This will open up the sweater to make it a cardigan.
3. Measure the length of the sweater. Start with collar to bottom. My length was 18 inches.
4. Cut 2 pieces of coordinating fabric 18 inches long by 1.5 inches wide. Iron the cut coordinating pieces as well as the sweater.
5. Place the fabric wrong side up along the front part of the sweater. Pin into place.
6. Using your sewing machine, sew the fabric to the sweater. Be sure to back stitch at the beginning and the end of your stitches. Do this to both sides of the sweater opening.
7. Turn the sweater inside out and iron down the seam. Fold the fabric to the middle of the remaining fabric. This will cause the fabric to be approximately half an inch in width. Then fold the remaining half inch inside the sweater and pin. Attach to sweater by sewing. Be sure to back stitch at the beginning and end of the seams.
8. Repeat this process on the other side of the sweater.
9. Repeat this process on the bottom of the sweater. Be sure to tighten up the corners and back stitch, back stitch. I cannot stress back stitching enough. Its very important to reinforce your seams.
10. Attach a pretty button to the top right of the sweater opening.
11. Attach a small piece of elastic to the opposite side of the sweater OR create button holes for the button.
12. Iron the cardigan upon completion of all steps above.
Viola! Your old drab sweater into a fashionable cardigan!
This is a simple and easy way to increase your wardrobe with out spending money!!!