You know how much I love saving money when I am shopping, right? I have always been a bargain hunter, long before we became a one-income household. Thanks to the internet, smart phones and ever-improving technology, it has become a lot easier for me to save money, no matter what I am shopping for! One of my go-to shopping apps is RedLaser!
RedLaser is a free app that you can download for your smart phone, iPhone, Android and Windows phones, that allows you to scan items you find at the store. I love this app because I like to have a lot of information about a product before I make a purchase - especially price comparisons for other stores!
Already downloaded by over 20 million users, RedLaser is like a secret weapon for savvy shoppers. You just scan the barcode of whatever item you are considering buying, and RedLaser shows you two options - online and local - along with product details and reviews.
Now, that information is awesome for two reasons: one, I always look for reviews before buying new products and two, RedLaser shows you the price of the item at the different competitors.
Yesterday I needed to buy a product called Nature's Miracle, so I scanned the UPC and toggled over to the local section.
While I would have never guessed to try looking for it at Linens 'N Things, they carried it and it was a few bucks less than at PETCO! I ended up buying it at PETCO because as you can see, the other store was over 19 miles away.
Some of my favorite features of RedLaser:
- You can scan and search for products using the bar code scanner just as though you were taking a photo
- Compare prices online and at local retailers, so you know where the best deal is
- Read reviews and ratings for the products in question
- Buy directly from your phone using PayPal mobile express checkout and you can pick up your item in a nearby store.
- Create shopping lists that you can share them via email, SMS, Twitter and of course, Facebook
- You can even create wish lists and share them for birthdays, baby showers and the holiday season
- Scan a food item to see ingredient information - even allergen information
You can watch this video to see how the RedLaser app works. It's a great example of how you can use RedLaser to find a last-minute gift. I have a feeling that option will come in handy during the holiday shopping season for many people...like my dad!