Tired of experiencing dry, bumpy, skin? I know just about every woman has some story to tell about the condition of her skin. Whether she’s a teenager discussing pimples popping up on her face, or a woman in her forties dissatisfied with the fine lines and wrinkles, skin issues is one thing we probably all have in common. If you’re like me, you’ve tried all the skincare products out there and have likely come up with some routine that works - but doesn’t quite give you the flawless glow you’re looking for.
In doing some research of my own, I found that there are a lot of simple things that we could be trying to improve the overall look and feel of our skin.
Getting a Good Night’s Rest
Believe it or not, getting a decent amount of sleep can do more than just give us a boost of energy. It can also do more than keep the dark brown bags from under our eyes. There are several reasons why it pays to get some shut eye at night. Some of these reasons include:
- Minimizes skin conditions - if you have current skin conditions such as acne, then getting sleep is important to minimizing the outbreaks. When the body does not get enough rest, it will begin to release a stress hormone known as cortisol. When this happens, it causes the skin to become inflamed, thus promoting the presence of pimples.
- Keeps your skin glowing - you know that glow you’re always pointing out in other women? You could have that same natural glow for yourself. All you have to do is rest. When your skin becomes inflamed as a result of lack of sleep, it can begin to break down a molecule known as collagen.
- Slows the aging process - who would have thought that not getting enough sleep could speed up the aging process? When you’re in a deep sleep, the skin cells are able to repair and replenish overnight.
If these aren’t good enough reasons to consider getting a good night’s rest, I don’t know what is. If you’re a busy woman like myself, then it may be challenging to pencil in 8 straight hours of rest. However, it is great for our health and our skin.
Cleanse Your Face Twice Per Day
I can’t stress enough the importance of washing your face at least twice per day. Whether you use skincare products or soap and water, getting all the dirt and dead skin cells off the surface of your face is important. While there are several skincare products out there for cleansing, you want to make sure that you have:
- Astringent - an astringent is a great skin care product to consider as it can often get all the dirt and dead skin cells of the face easier than scrubbing with soap. Be sure to use these products sparingly as astringents can often be very powerful.
- Exfoliant - exfoliating is another thing that should be apart of your skin cleansing regimen. Exfoliants are usually creams with various textures in it to make for easier scrubbing. This is like a deep cleaning product that can rid your face of blackheads and dead skin.
- Moisturizer - after you’ve used an astringent and an exfoliant having a moisturizer is a great way to replenish your skin with the nutrients and moisture it needs. Try looking for moisturizers that have sunscreen in them for extra protection while outside.
Choose Quality Skin Care Products
Your skin is a very sensitive part of the body and therefore you want to choose products wisely. The more natural the products are (in truth not just in advertising), the better they are for your skin. Below are a few suggestions on how to find skin care products that will work best for you:
- Identify any conditions - First identify what your preexisting conditions are. Do you have skin tags, acne, or some generic skin complaint such as dry or oily skin? Knowing this will help you in determining the best products to purchase.
- Do your research - If, for example, you’re trying to get rid of a skin tag on your eye, you’d be looking for skin tag removal products. When deciding on which product is the best, you want to look at several factors, which include: the contents or ingredients in the product, the benefits of using the product, and most importantly a few customer reviews. One thing is for sure, you should never purchase something like skin care products without first having gotten a few opinions from others who have used the products as well.
Other Ways to Improve Your Skin
A few lifestyle changes could also work wonders for your skin. Have you ever noticed that when a person eats a well balanced diet and exercises on the regular basis, that their skin seems to be perfect? Well, the saying, “you are what you eat” is a true statement. The types of foods that you’re consuming could very well be causing your skin issues. Try eating more fruits, veggies, and grains, while also increasing your intake of water. Throw in a multi-vitamin and you should be good to go.
Well ladies, hopefully you’ve gotten some new advice on how to improve your skin. It’s amazing how much we can do to change the look and feel of our experience without having to spend tons of money. So if you’ve tried every skin care regimen with little to no results, it may be time to evaluate your lifestyle and make a few changes that include getting enough sleep, cleaning your face twice a day, choosing the best skin care products, and eating a well balanced diet. Hopefully this will help you in improving the look of your skin.