This shop is part of a social shopper marketing insight campaign with Pollinate Media Group™ and Dr. Pepper Snapple Group but all my opinions are my own. #pmedia #TENways http://my-disclosur.es/OBsstV
Living in Miami means that it's pretty much ALWAYS bathing suit season! Although, we can usually get away with a few extra pounds during the "Winter" because everyone is so busy during the holidays that they don't have time for pool parties and lazy days on the beach.
Well, Winter is officially over and we've already had our first weekend on the water! As I was packing for out weekend in Key West last week, I went to grab my bikini and thought I better try it on beforehand...let's just say that I'm glad I did! It seems I haven't lost all of the holiday weight yet, and I was stuck squeezing into my trusty old one piece bathing suit. Even that wasn't as flattering as it usually is! Le Sigh.
With two Caribbean cruises coming up in the next month, and a teenage daughter already begging for trips to the beach, it's time for me to get back into shape and shed the last few Winter pounds. While I don't have a lot of weight to lose, it can sometimes be harder to lose those few last pounds than it is to lose a large amount of weight.
Luckily, there are some tips and tricks to help me, and I am going to share the ones that have worked best for me!
5 Tips for Getting Ready for Bathing Suit Season
1. Remember That Slow and Steady Wins the Race. Crash diets might help you lose ten pounds in two weeks, but guess what? Unless you're doing a medically necessary crash diet prescribed by a doctor to prepare for a surgery, crash diets are bad for you and those results won't last. Most doctors recommend losing 1-2 pounds a week, though it might be more based on your total body weight. I worked with weight loss doctors in 2012 and early 2013 to lose 30+ pounds, and I found that making changes in my diet and exercise that helped me gradually lose the weight worked best. While the rewards aren't immediate, losing the weight slowly over time means that it's more likely to stay off.
2. Save the Sweets for Your Cheat Day. If you want to lose weight, you have to make better choices when it comes to what you eat. Yes, I want to eat cookies every day - of course I do! But if I eat cookies every day, my thighs pay the price. So I don't buy them very often! Once I stopped buying junk food on a regular basis, it was much easier to eat healthy. Save sweets and high calorie foods for occasional indulgences, like when you go out to eat or for a weekly trip to the ice cream parlor. As strange as it sounds, giving myself those "cheat days" once a week, where I go buy an ice cream, or bake a batch of cookies, makes it easier to stay on track because I know that my goodies are coming - I just have to wait for the right time to enjoy them!
3. Look for Low Calorie Indulgences. One of the biggest ways we waste calories is by drinking soda, juices and other sugary drinks. An average glass of soda is 140 calories, and most people who drink soda drink several glasses a day. I drink a ton of water and unsweetened tea to stay hydrated and not to drink empty calories, but that gets really, really boring. When I want a break from water without wasting calories, I reach for one of the new Four Ten Calorie DPSG products like 7UP, Sunkist, A&W Rootbeer and Canada Dry. They only have TEN calories a serving and have the same full flavor of their regular counterparts.
No, really, I am serious. They don't taste like "diet" sodas at all! And with just TEN calories, well, that's about the same as a glass of unsweetened tea, but tastes a whole lot better! I especially love the TEN Calorie A&W Rootbeer - it's even flavored with vanilla!
I picked up the TEN calorie 7UP, Sunkist, Canada Dry and A&W Rootbeer at my local Walmart, they're right there in between the regular sodas and the diet sodas.
Save on Ten Calorie DPSG Products!
Right now, you can save $0.50 off of the purchase of either two 2 Liter bottles or two4-pack cans of 7UP TEN, A&W TEN, Canada Dry TEN, RC TEN or Sunkist TEN soda. If you share the digital coupon with your friends using the clickable share feature on the website, through email, Facebook or Twitter, your coupon will actually be for $1.50 instead of .50! You can get your coupon here, just keep in mind that this coupon is available March 27 through April 17, or while supplies last.
4. You MUST Exercise to Lose Weight and Get in Shape. I will be the first to admit that exercise SUCKS. But it is a necessary evil in the battle of the muffin top. You do not have to join a gym or run marathons to exercise, believe me, I certainly don't do any of that stuff! Of course, you will lose more weight by burning more calories through vigorous exercise, but I just don't have the will power to make myself work out that hard. I do crunches on my balance ball (you can buy one for about $20 at any mass market retailer, like Walmart) every morning to help flatten my stomach, and I try to do 20 minutes on my elliptical (which I also bought at Walmart, for $99) a few times a week. Not only does exercise help boost our metabolism so that we burn more calories, but it helps tone your muscles so you don't get all flabby while you're losing weight. You can even walk your dogs, work out using YouTube or at-home exercise videos, play tag with your kids in the backyard - the point is, MOVE YOUR BODY.
5. Buy Clothes that Flatter the Body You Have, Not the One You Want. One of the biggest mistakes people make when trying to lose weight is to buy clothes that don't fit, in hopes that it will motivate them to lose weight. What happens when you don't reach your goals and that new bathing suit doesn't fit? For me, it begins a vicious cycle of desperation eating...which really doesn't help matters. While you are losing weight, buy clothes that make you look good and feel good - even if you haven't lost as much weight as you intended, you deserve to feel confident after all of your efforts!
You can find out more about the Four TEN Calorie DPSG Products on Walmart.com/TEN, and make sure to follow DPSG on Twitter and like their Facebook page too so that you can stay up to date on new product offerings and promotions!