I am talking about SPLENDA® Sweetener Products as part of a sponsored post for Socialstars #SplendaSweeties #SweetSwaps
It’s no secret that Americans, and the world at large, seems to be developing a chronic sweet tooth these days. But how bad is it really? Well, it may be worse than you thought. Not only is there zero nutritional value: no vitamins, no minerals, no enzymes, no fiber…but we’re beginning to pay a heavy price for that sweet tooth. Obesity and diabetes are the obvious results from over-consumption, but list doesn’t end there. Other side effects include high blood pressure, hypoglycemia, depression, acne, headaches, hardening of the arteries, fatigue, hyperactivity, and tooth decay.
So just how much sugar are we consuming and why? Find out with these 5 surprising facts about sugar!
5 Surprising Facts About Sugar
- The average American consumes 22 teaspoons of sugar per day. The average child consumes 32. That’s nearly three times the lower daily limit recently recommended by the World Health Organization (WHO). Women should have a maximum of 6 teaspons per day and men 9 teaspoons.
- We drink about 53 gallons of soft drink per person each year.
- A person consumes, on average, between 130-150 POUNDS of sugar each year.
- So why do we crave sugar? Well, its in our DNA. The catch is, evolution doesnt know about processed sugar. “Back in the day” we craved sugar because it led to eating more energy-efficient fruit and vegetables that helped keep us healthy.
- Many of our favorite foods contain hidden sugar including: catsup, pasta sauce, dressing, mayo and most processed foods
You can find more information about sugar in this press release.
The SPLENDA® Brand is a proud supporter of Simple Cooking with HeartTM , from the American Heart Association, which provides tasteful, easy tips for a diet rich in fruits, vegetables, whole grains and other valuable nutrients that are lower in sodium, cholesterol, saturated and trans fats. Together they’ve provided these easy sugar swaps to help you cut down on sugar and calories while still getting the sweet taste we crave!
Simple Cooking with Heart™ provides families with information, cooking know-how and recipes for affordable and nutritious meals that can be made at home. This can help Americans reduce their added sugar intake while not sacrificing taste!
I ‘ve used SPLENDA® in the place of sugar in quite a few recipes this past year and was really pleased with the results. It’s easier to switch it up than you might think!
This Cheesy Jalapeno Cornbread was moist, a tad bit sweet and totally delicious with SPLENDA®!
Or how about my Very Berry Breakfast Bars? YUM!
You can find more of my #SweetSwaps recipes by using the search function on my site and entering in “SweetSwaps.”
Get Social With SPLENDA® Sweeteners!
And of course, follow SPLENDA® on Pinterest for more Sweet Swaps recipe inspiration!