Yeah, I went there.
I've always been a huge fan of the X-Men - especially Wolverine. OMG the hotness! The rebellion! The super sexy razor sharp claws!
I am not into comic books, but like most red-blooded Americans, I love me some superhero movies.
Batman, Superman, Iron Man, X-Men, Transformers, The Hulk, etc, etc. Give me a superhero on the big screen and I am happy. I don't need to read the comics to appreciate the superheros behind them, know what I mean?
Where was I?
Oh yeah. Wolverine.
I grew up watching the 80's cartoons: HeMan, GI Joe, Transformers, X-Men, etc. I was that kid with the crush on HeMan and Wolverine.
Especially Wolverine. He appealed to my rebellious nature.
He was such a bad*ss!
Well...after many years of devotion to my favorite superhero-type, I've found a new love.
Oh, Iron Man...oh, Robert Downey Jr.
To be fair, I have to tell you that I have always had a bit of a celebrity crush on Robert Downey Jr. He's a wonderful actor, with a range so incredibly wide that I sometimes wonder if he has multiple personalities. I mean, this is the guy that starred in love stories like Heart and Soul and Only You when I was a teenager...and now he's the superhero Iron Man? !
Robert Downey Jr. is incredibly dashing, he's charming and he's a total bad boy. Which, obviously, is my number 1 determining factor in deciding if I like a movie star. Duh.
But it's more than Robert Downey Jr, it's the character of Iron Man. I didn't read the comics growing up so quite honestly, I had never heard of Iron Man before the first Iron Man movie came out. My husband had, of course, and was excited to see the movie - which is why I saw it.
Thank goodness for my husband!
1. Every time I hear any mention of IRON MAN, I immediately think of..."I am Iron Man" and then Black Sabbath's song starts playing in my head. Any superhero that you can associate with Ozzy Osbourne and Black Sabbath is obviously awesome.
2. Iron Man took a near fatal wound to the chest and instead of dying, he became a superhero. Wolverine got screwed over by Stryker, got super cool semi-indestructableness, and is a sourpuss about it. Iron Man is a "Billionaire, Philanthropist, Playboy" and what is Wolverine? He's Debbie Downer.
3. Iron Man can fly. Granted, it's only with the assistance of his suit, but still. He can fly!
4. Iron Man makes the world a better place with his inventions. What does Wolverine do in his spare time, besides ride around looking hot on a motorcycle?
And last but certainly not least...
5. Iron Man is part of Marvel's The Avengers. Yes, the X-Men are pretty cool. But do they have Captain America? Do they have Thor? Or the Incredible Hulk? No! No, they don't.
Marvel's The Avengers comes to theaters on May 4th, 2012. If you don't see it on the big screen, you are going to be sorry!
Images courtesy of Marvel Studios and Paramount Pictures.