Big thanks to REPREVE for sponsoring today’s post and encouraging us to #TurnItGreen
Did you know that REPREVE turns recycled plastic bottles into cool stuff? It’s true! REPREVE is a recycled fiber that helps turn those plastic bottles you recycle into cool stuff you can wear and use every day. As if recycling wasn’t rewarding enough as it was, now you know that every time you recycle your plastic bottles, you are preventing landfills from filling up and also giving REPREVE the opportunity to create something totally new! For instance, REPREVE can create a green beanie with just six recycled plastic bottles!
A lot of well-known brands that you probably already know and love use REPREVE to make their cool products! The North Face, Polartec, Patagonia, Beija-Flor, Lauren Conrad’s XO(eco) by Blue Avocado, and Swiftwick socks all use REPREVE to make their products, how cool is that? You probably already have something made with REPREVE products and didn’t even realize it!
So what is made with REPREVE? Here are a few examples, including how many plastic bottles they use to make them!
• Volcom graphic t-shirts are made with REPREVE, using 2 recycled plastic bottles.
• One Patgonia fleece jacket with REPREVE has 40 recycled plastic bottles, so you can be a real “active-ist.”
• Life Khaki by Haggar uses REPREVE to put 7 recycled plastic bottles in every pair of pants; so wear what you believe.
I know that we all want to live a greener life, but the thought of “going green” can be so overwhelming when you look at the larger picture. You can actually #TurnitGreen little by little, with little steps along the way. Even small things can make a big difference if we all pitch in!
4 Tips For Living a Greener Life
- Turn off the lights! Turn off the lights when you leave a room and unplug electronic devices when not in use. Most people use nuclear energy (like we do here in Miami, Florida). The less you use, the better off we all are!
- Recycle, recycle, recycle! Just keep a separate trash can – or even a plastic bag in the kitchen – and make sure that the entire family discards recyclable cans, glass bottles and plastic containers.
- Reduce and Reuse! When you’re done with glass jars, wash them and use them in DIY projects. Instead of throwing out old clothes and household items, donate them to charity – it helps keep needless trash out of the landfills.
- Properly dispose of your electronics and batteries! Most Best Buy stores accept old electronics, printer ink cartridges, light bulbs and batteries for safe disposal. Before throwing away something like this, or even household items like old paint cans, do a quick online search for safe disposal to find out the proper way to get rid of that stuff.
Do you already do any of these things? How are you teaching your kids to lead a sustainable lifestyle? You can enter the REPREVE contest by creating an image or a video showing you how you practice sustainability and sharing it on Instagram, Twitter or Vine with the hashtag #TurnItGreen and @REPREVE.
Entries to the #TurnItGreen contest are being accepted from 1/17 – 2/2 and voting on the videos will take place from 2/3 – 2/7. A winner will be selected on 2/10.
The grand prize is $5,000, which is an awesome prize for just encouraging others to lead a more sustainable life!
I made my own video…don’t laugh at me too much, I am still getting used to making vlogs and stuff.
#TurnitGreen with the X Games! Are you and your children getting excited about watching the X Games this year? Repreve is supporting the X Games this year and they are running a really fun #TurnItGreen contest to make the X Games even more exciting for us!
REPREVE will take recycling to new heights with a special green event at the 2014 Winter X Games in Aspen January 23-26, 2014. Professional snowboarder Elena Hight is REPREVE’s brand ambassador and she will compete in the Women’s Superpipe in a bright green Volcom jacket made with REPREVE! It was made from 50 recycled plastic bottles, the ultimate in recycled clothing!
REPREVE will hand out free beanies – that were made with 6 recycled plastic bottles – to fans at the Women’s Final Superpipe to wear and line the pipe with REPREVE green. Can you imagine how that will look, with a sea of REPREVE green around the Superpipe?
This isn’t just a publicity stunt! It’s an event with a really important mission: to show the world that we have to get everybody involved in recycling. I think it’s a fantastic way to create a reprieve for the planet.
Check out this video about REPREVE and the $5000 contest in honor of the X Games!