I’ve been going through my old cookbooks and came across something that I’ve never tried baking before…a layered chocolate cheese bars recipe. Sounds pretty interesting, right? I kind of renamed it Chocolate Coconut Cream Bars because calling it chocolate cheese bars is a bit misleading – this chocolate cream bars recipe doesn’t taste at all like cheese!
They don’t look very cheesy, do they?
I know, right?!
I am a huge fan of chocolate and coconut, so these were the perfect little treat to bake up for my weekly indulgence. They were also incredibly simple to make, and chances are that you have all of the necessary ingredients already in your kitchen! If you don’t, I promise that it’s totally worth it to run out and buy them!
Layered Coconut Chocolate Cream Bars Recipe
- ½ cup butter
- 1½ cup graham cracker crumbs
- ¾ cup granulated sugar
- 4 ounces dark chocolate chips
- 1 package cream cheese at room temperature
- 1 egg
- 1 cup sweetened flaked coconut
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees. Melt butter in a microwave safe dish and pour into a 9 x 13 inch baking dish. Add graham cracker crumbs and ¼ cup of sugar and mix well.
- Press down into place and bake for 10 minutes.
- Melt the dark chocolate chips in a microwave safe dish at 45 second increments until totally melted, stirring between each increment.
- Add egg, cream cheese and the remaining sugar and stir until completely combined. Pour over crust and spread evenly, then top with coconut.
- Press the coconut down lightly so that it adheres to the chocolate.
- Bake for 30 minutes. Allow to chill in the refrigerator for an hour and cut into squares.
They’re pretty easy to make but I have to warn you, they’re a bit messy! I think they need to sit in the fridge and chill for a while before you eat them. I chilled them for 30 minutes and they were already getting a little messy after I took my photos and went to bite into one!
Don’t worry, the mess is worth it! These Chocolate Coconut Cream Bars are simply delicious!
The toasted coconut on top is my favorite part!
If you give this recipe a try, I’d love to know what you think!