Angeline just turned 16.
I know, right?! How did my sweet little baby turn into a teenager so fast?
We gave Angeline the option of having a sweet 16 party or taking a vacation, and she chose a Caribbean cruise with two of her friends. We took a 7 day cruise through the Caribbean with Carnival Cruise Lines back in June, you probably remember all of the photos I shared on Instagram, right?
Well, even though a lavish sweet 16 style birthday party was out of the question when her actual birthday party rolled around in October, we still had a family birthday dinner and she went to the mall to see a movie, have dinner and do some shopping with her friends.
The only problem with that plan is that she wanted to invite five friends…and my SUV only seats 5 total. So we’d either have to do some lap-sitting (which is illegal and dangerous!) or I’d have to find an alternate method of transportation.
That’s where the 2014 Kia Sorento SX came into the picture! I sometimes do vehicle reviews for Kia, so I thought it would be a fun idea to do a review for a larger passenger SUV while I had a bunch of kids to tow around. Since we only have one child, it’s pretty difficult for me to relate to families with a few kids when it comes to vehicles and travel. So while I only had the extra kids for a 24-hour period, I felt this was a nice larger family simulation for the purpose of a review.
2014 Kia Sorento Review SX – The 7 Passenger SUV
When the car pulled into my driveway, I was a bit skeptical. How could 7 people fit in an SUV the same size as mine, which was only a 5 passenger?
Once they opened the trunk, it all made sense! There’s a third row that replaces what is typically a large cargo space in the “trunk” of the SUV. When the seats are lowered, it becomes a typical 5 passenger SUV, but when you open them up, there’s a third row with two extra seats back there.
The only negative to this is that when the third row is up and full of passengers, there isn’t a lot of cargo room. We had no issues with it because we were just driving around town, but if you are traveling with seven passengers, there isn’t a lot of space for your luggage.
The third row is super easy to put up and down, with little pullies on the back of the row that you just pull out. I was able to put the third row up and down by myself with just one hand, and I am a total weakling!
Getting in and out of the 2014 Kia Sorento SX is pretty simple, though a taller person will not have the easiest time getting into the third row. The second row has a latch on the side that just slides the second row forward, and it’s very easy to get the seat back into regular position.
We were only dealing with kids, so it was pretty easy for us!
So, how did I like doing the 2014 Kia Sorento SX review?
I fell in love…and I was not happy about giving it back once my week was up!
Aside from being really convenient for driving around a bunch of teens, the 2014 Kia Sorento SX is just a fantastic car. I used to own a 2001 Kia Spectra, and let me tell you, Kia has come A LONG WAY since I bought that car back in 2001. I was incredibly impressed – Chris liked it so much that he drove it to work one day so that he could show his friends (don’t worry, I have permission from the company to let Chris drive it too).
Chris actually started asking me about the possibility of trading my Saturn in for the 2014 Kia Sorento SX…but seeing as how he just bought a new car last month, we are still getting used to having a car payment again, and I can’t handle the though of another car payment again so soon!
What I Loved Most About the 2014 Kia Sorento SX
The words “high tech” come to mind when I try to describe the dashboard of the 2014 Kia Sorento SX.
In all honesty, I didn’t even use ALL of the options because I only had it for a week, and let’s get real: I’m not used to having so many options!
Now, I reviewed the 2014 Kia Sorento SX, which is one of the most well-equipped packages. My review will include the options that are included in the SX package, which starts at $35,000.
Goodies In the Dash
- AM/FM/CD/MP3/SiriusXM Audio System & The UVO eServices Infotainment system
- Infinity® Surround Sound Audio System with Ten Speakers, External Amplifier & Subwoofer, HD Radio™
- Voice Command Navigation with 8″ Display & SiriusXM Traffic
- Rear-Camera Display, Backup Warning System & Blind Spot Detection System
- Bluetooth® Wireless Technology Hands-Free Connectivity
- Steering-Wheel-Mounted Audio, Hands-Free Phone and Cruise Control Buttons
- USB/Auxiliary Input Jack
- Supervision Meter Cluster, including 7″ Thin Film Transistor (TFT) Color LCD Display
- Trip Computer
- EcoMinder® Fuel-Efficiency Indicator
Basics in the Front Seats
- Tilt and Telescopic Steering Column
- FlexSteer Driver-Selectable Steering Assist
- Power Windows with Driver & Passenger One-Touch Auto-Up/Down
- Power Door Locks
- Push Button Start with Smart Key and Immobilizer
- Dual-Zone Automatic Climate Control
- Center Console with Armrest
- Dual Front Cup Holders
And the second row of seats recline…
Basics Throughout the Vehicle
- 2nd Row Center Arm Rest with Cup Holders
- Front & Rear Door Bottle Holders
- Auto Dimming Mirror with Compass & Auto Dimming Mirror with HomeLink®
- Integrated 2nd-Row Window Sunshades
- Rear Air Conditioning
- Power Liftgate with Programmable Height Adjustment
- Under-rear-cargo-floor Storage Compartment
- 115-Volt Power Inverter
Oh, and the panoramic sunroof? AWESOME.
Of course, the outside of the 2014 Kia Sorento SX is equally as impressive!
Exterior Body Points of Interest
- Illuminated Door Handle Pockets
- Rear Spoiler
- Front and Rear Stainless Steel Accent Plates
- Body Color Side Sill and Wheel Moulding Trim
- Body-Color Heated Power Mirrors with LED Turn Signal Indicators
- Power-Folding Outside Mirrors
- Solar Control Glass
- Roof Rails, Silver Finish & Roof Rails, Low Profile with Chrome Finish
- Auto Light Control
- Multi-Reflector Headlights
- HID, Projector Beam Headlights with Auto Leveling & Front Fog Lights
- Privacy Glass
- Rear Wiper/Washer & Variable Intermittent Windshield Wipers
- Micro Short-Roof Type Antenna
- Locking Fuel-Filler Door
So what’s under the hood (so to speak)?
- 3.3 Liter Engine
- 18/25/21 Highway Mileage
- 18/24/20 City Mileage
- 17.4 fuel tank
- 3500 two capacity
The 2014 Kia Sorento SX drove so well, it made me realize just how old and worn down my own car is…With over 250 horsepower, it really had some get-up-and-go, and it handled really well. What I mean by that is that it was really smooth to drive, had a pretty tight turning radius and when we drove on the highway (the Florida Turnpike, the Palmetto Expressway and I-95), we didn’t hear hardly any outside noise at all! I have to say, though, those blind spot indicators kept freaking me out. Definitely not something I am used to! ha!
How Much Will This Cost Me?
Now, there are four different models of the 2014 Kia Sorento, and they all have different options and upgrades available. The base model for the 2014 Kia Sorento LX is just $24,100. The EX model starts at $30,000, the SX model (which I received) starts at $35,000 and the Limited, which is the most decked-out model, starts at $38,300.
Not too bad for such a sweet ride, right?
You can find out more about the new 2014 Kia Sorento at Kia.com!