While in Trinidad recently, someone asked me where in the states I was from, and when I responded, Miami, Florida, they went all wide-eyed like I had just told them I had an alligator for a leg or something.
People are always so awestruck when I tell them that I live in Miami, and I used to roll my eyes and shrug it off. I mean, Miami is a city, just like any city, right?
The more I travel, the more I realize that contrary to what I used to think, Miami is a pretty awesome place to live.
No one can tell you more about a city than a native, so I thought I’d share some insight as to why it’s so cool to live here.
5 Reasons Why Miami is More Awesome Than Your City
1. Miami Vice. Do I really need to elaborate? Miami Vice was one of the most iconic television shows ever and it was based on Miami – and from I remember of the 80’s, it was a pretty accurate description. I know that there have been other television shows about cities, like L.A. Law, NYPD Blue, etc…but did they incite a fashion craze? No, they didn’t.
2. Our Wildlife is Pretty Badass. What other city has both Alligators AND Crocodiles in the same natural ecosystem? Well? None? Right, that’s what I thought.
3. We’re Multicultural. I realize that other cities have this same bragging right, but I have to give credit where credit is due…Little Haiti, Little Havana…where as NYC, San Francisco and Toronto give love to China with their splendid Chinatown shopping destinations, Miami does it’s own thing and serves as a mecca for the Caribbean. We rock it island style.
4. We are the other city that never sleeps. No matter what time of day or night, there is always something to do in Miami. Our bars and nightclubs close when the sun comes up, and you can even bowl at midnight. I think that Miami club-goers invented the late-night drive-thru!
5. Celebrities are everywhere. And I literally mean, they are everywhere. Sure, other cities have their celebrity stomping grounds, but we see celebrities – everyone from Hulk Hogan to Rhianna – without stalking famous restaurants and night clubs. A friend of mine saw Desmond Harrington (Joey Quinn from Dexter) while shopping at Best Buy.
As awesome as Miami is, it is all in the eye of the beholder. I know that there are other pretty awesome cities out there. Where do you live? What makes your city fabulous?